Friday 3 April 2015

4th April - ice quest in Coron - meat market

Saturday 4th April 2015

A row of tricycles baking in the sun on the reclaimed land outside the market
It is hotter than usual today.  I even got hot doing my 72 under-the-boat laps…

A good day to fill the spare (non-working) freezer with ICE!


Ice is big business in the tropics.  The machines produce great slabs of it, and it gets crushed and shoveled into bags


and then off it goes, dripping like crazy, loaded into tricycles.


Pete is so hot, after lugging great slabs of it onto the dinghy and then onto 2XS, that I think he is going to melt.  He is sitting in my blow-up beanbag chair (from Katmandu in Hobart) sighing gently and sipping on coke with ice.


We also went to my least favourite section of Coron – the meat market… I really like the longanisa sausages they sell there but I have to avert my gaze as I walk down the aisle to SausageWorld…


On our way out last night we noticed a banka, laden with provisions, and with people, being paddled by a faintly desperate looking man.  In the back of the boat a couple more desperate looking men were pulling away at the starter cord, trying to get the engine to go.  W watched them for a while and then went to see if we could help.  Not certain what we could do…we surely couldn’t tow it anywhere, with our tiny dinghy.  But we could maybe take a few people back to shore.  It all looked quite cosy on board.  Dinner was cooking on the outriggers.  It did smell nice (but would probably prove to be fish-head soup…)  One of the women did climb into the dinghy, but a few minutes later they called her back – the engine had started.  It didn’t sound very good, mind you.  They had a very long way to go, to Dimipacan, not far from the safari park.  Many many hours, even with a functioning engine…



Yes I did go to church, to the Stations of the Cross, entirely in Tagalog.  It was relatively cool, in there, with high ceilings, and fans.  But…it went on for a very long time… We left after about 90 minutes, and found, to our consternation, that there was a larger crowd standing outside, patiently listening.  If only I had known I would have – gladly! – given up my seat earlier!

The dinghy waiting patiently under Seadive

No comments:

Post a Comment