Wednesday 22 April 2015

22nd April - Port Carmen and Danao, Cebu Island

Wednesday 22nd April 2015

The internet works here on 2XS, in our sheltered lagoon in Port Carmen.  But only intermittently…it is a teensy bit frustrating (please ignore the sound of gritted teeth…)

Downtown Danao
But I have managed to find out a bit about Danao (pop. approx. 120,000.  Its main claim to fame is – the gun industry, which began in 1905 and continues to this day.  And…it is a good place to catch a ferry to the Camotes Islands.

Yesterday we didn’t go to Danao, NON-tourist Mecca of Cebu island.

I spent the morning swimming, and then getting back in to scrub and scrape. 


From a distance you can't see the slime and the grunge...
All of the underside of the boat is covered with…well, with a fringing reef!  Little fish lie here, and follow us faithfully across the sea, ditto tiny crablets. 

I have been quite brutal, on the the one quarter of the hulls I have scraped, this far.  Small fish and crablets gently waft to the bottom of the sea, along with a whole lot of slime, and barnacles.  I climbed out of the water and said, idly, Maybe I need a shower?  Pete, who was worming busily on his computer, glanced at me, and then focused properly, in dismay.  Yes!  A shower!  I was, apparently, covered in slime and grunge…

Yesterday we went for quite a long trip in the little dinghy, looking for the boatyard where they construct Mumby catamarans.  Tim Mumby, originally from Sydney and Brisbane, has set up a busy little yard where they are constructing and/or renovating about nine new boats, all aluminum, of his design.  Pete bought some lengths of spare aluminium from him, to deliver to Alex, for the Solar Panel Frame project.


Alex (father of ten!) with Pete plus aluminium
We stopped at Zeke’s Bar for cold drinks on the way back.  The bar is so very beautiful, all solid gleaming golden wood, but…they only have beer.  And gin, but no tonic…There is a lovely big, new kitchen but…no food!  Yet another Mystery of the Sea!


Mango
We renewed acquaintance with Mango, a very nice big dog who lives with on a small yacht in the “marina” with David, and David told me dreadful stories about Milton Freedman, Pol Pot, Marcos, the list went on…
David
Today we went back into Danao, squeezed into a motortricylce with about five other people.  We found another very big supermarket, mostly selling packets of snack food.  While we were looking for tinned tomatoes and baked beans – they weren’t in the tinned vegetables section, mysteriously, but there they were, near the tinned corned beef (another huge consumer item here) – we found ourselves the object of fascination for three young girls.  They were totally enthralled by us and kept coming up close to stare, unblinking, at our strange, strange faces.  I broke the ice by taking out my camera and asking them to pose – they were delighted and sprang into pose mode immediately.



We had dinner in a restaurant attached to the local Shell station - Mojos.  Pete had the most amazingly colourful banana split for desert…


It is very very hot…I came back to the boat and spent an hour and a half underneath, in the shade, doing my 1k swim and then scraping the hulls some more.  I came out, once again, looking as if I had been swimming in pea soup… Pete, in the meantime, had gone back to Mumby’s boatyard to get another bit of aluminium to take to Alex, for the solar panel frame.  I think I had a nicer time of it…

Pete’s hand is much better.  He no longer needs the splint and he can bend his knuckle without it all opening up again.  But…the other night he slipped as he was getting into the dinghy and cut his hand on a wet, muddy, dirty concrete step at Zekes’s Bar… It is now infected; red lines are travelling up his inner arm… He is taking strong antibiotics and seems to be winning the fight but it is all very unpleasant.  It hurts very badly, I know.  I have a tiny scrape on my right foot, not infected, and it hurts badly enough(these things are much worse in the tropics) to wake me at night.  Pete’s cut is much worse; he is very good not to be complaining!

Today’s birthday

My friend, Barbara Lobban

Barbara, in between Annie and Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment