Thursday 9 April 2015

10th April - Boracay Island (Philippines)

Friday 10th April 2015

Parasail at  sunset
We decided to be very efficient and to go to the local Immigration office to get our next 30 day visa.  This is not due to expire for another eleven days but it seemed like a good idea – we may not be anywhere near a convenient office in ten days.  So off we tootled, with all of our official papers nicely waterproofed, and made our way towards the office.  This, slightly confusingly, is no longer in the location indicated on the map.  In fact it is quite a few kilometres down the road, too far to walk.  Pete spent quite a long time in a little shop with three very helpful women, who showed him where to go on the map, and waved him in the correct direction.  I thought I would go in too, and ask where the Post Office is.  The three women had a lively debate, and finally reached consensus – Zone One, in the opposite direction to Immigration.  It was only as I was leaving that they said, casually, “But today is a public holiday so the office will be closed.  Yes, both Immigration and the Post Office.”

Pete chatting to a friendly banka sailor on the beach
I had managed to buy postcards – Step #1 of what is always such a complicated procedure, sending mail to the kiddiewinks in Tasmania… Step #2 involved buying stamps, and then #3 finding a post box.  Pete found, in D-Mall, a very nice-looking postal agency.  They were delighted to tell me that yes they could send my 18 postcards…it would be 1230 pesos…approximately $35 EACH… Ummm…no thanks… Eventually I found a little shoo which, promisingly, sold stationery items.  “YES ma’am, we do sell stamps.  20 pesos each, to anywhere in the world.”  And they relieved me of the need to struggle through #3 – they took my beautiful cards and said they would affix the stamps and post the cards… Ahh well I am (almost) sure this will happen…

We didn’t have quite as adventurous exploratory day as the day before but we did have a lovely time in the evening, watching the sunset, and the parade of sail…



The little sailing bankas race to get home before dark; most of them wave, and call out to us.

So very beautiful!  And the sailorboys do seem to be having fun…Much better than most of the jobs.  Here in Boracay there is a lot of building, involving much cement dust, rubble, hot hot heavy work in the hot hot sun.


How much nicer to cruise around in a sailing boat, making happycampers even happier?


The internet here does work but it is extraordinarily slow, and intermittent.  Sometimes it allows me to upload just one photo, and then it fades away and I have to turn it on/off again and hope that it will allow me to upload another one.  Or not…Just a teensy bit…annoying!!  I are now in a breezy restaurant on the beach, Villa Caemilla, and it all seems to be a bit more speedy.  Maybe I can complete the photos for yesterday – who knows?

While Pete was negotiating the purchase of gin from a liquor stall in the open-air mall, I managed –aha!  I am speedy! - to buy a new dress.  It is cheap and cheerful and perfect for the weather.  (And it doesn’t say I LOVE BORACAY, even though I do.)



It is still very windy Out There so maybe we won’t battle towards Romblon.  Maybe we will have another easy Boracay day and then head east instead of north…WITH the wind instead of against it!

One of the glam beachside resort swimming pools

1 comment:

  1. You look fabulous in your new dress! I like your hat too. It all looks stunning there.

    ReplyDelete