Saturday 5 April 2014

6th April - Lake Toba - Batak people - birthday - not sure if all photos will upload...


Sunday 6th April

Old Batak house
One of the reasons Samosir is so special and peaceful, I think, is because of the Batak people, indigenous to this region.  Northern Sumatra is an extremely strictly regulated part of the world, but Samosir seems not to be very religiously dominated at all.  For example, Pete can get a beer very easily, and if I were up to drinking alcohol (having painful sinuses makes this seem like a VERY bad idea) I would be able to have all manner of delicious concoctions.


It would seem the Batak people are now Christian, and very keenly so, but they still have their old beliefs not very far from the surface.  I had in mind a sort of peaceful ancient communal race memory, which has imbued Samosir with its gentle, peaceful charm, but I have just looked up Batak History on Google and…aaagghh!  Cannibalism!*  Torture!  Executions!

I don't think I will be buying one of these headstones as a souvenir ...
On a more cheery note – I don’t think we realise, in Austalia, how much we are loved by Indonesians… Once again, we are greeted by people in the street, who ask us where we come from. When we tell them, the universal reaction is Ah!  Australia!  You are our friends, our neighbours!  Teman!**

Andrew, Peter, Ulan, Lucy
We had lunch at Orari’s restaurant. (Orari, by the way, is a VERY difficult name for someone who has trouble pronouncing her RRRs…)  There is fierce competition between Orari and Jenny*** next door, where we had the most beautiful fish the night before… I gather they are closely related and are having a seething festering feud.  Eagle eyes are watching our every move re our dining choices…

I sat next to the open window looking down at the lane leading to the lake and watched two little boys giving each other merry hell.  Oh what fun they had… They began playing very companionably, then went on to a game of hide & seek.  One of them closed the gate on the other one, so this developed into a storm-the-citadel game, involving a meal wheelbarrow as a battering ram.  Quite a few adults walked past; all of them completely ignored the boys – not a word of This will all end in tears, or BE CAREFUL!  PUT THAT DOWN!!!  The parents obviously, and sensibly, subscribe to the theory of natural consequences…


When we went to pay, Orari was very pleased to be photographed with her two daughters and…her son, appearing here in this photo as a very cross little blur… “He has been hurt,” said Orari, calmly.


We are so enjoying being here in this relaxed and friendly place.  Everyone calls out hello, or horas.  Horas is a very useful word, like aloha in Hawaii, or bula in Fiji – hello, goodbye, welcome, come back soon, I love you…all of that.  And everyone wants to be in a photo!



This lovely man wanted me to admire his motorbike/shop.


I said I would take his photo and put it on the internet and he was delighted.  “Yes,” he said, “I am businessman!”  I would have loved to have bought something from him but…I am travelling light and can’t carry a broom, or a large plastic water jug.

So pretty, along the lake
We walked quite a long way along the lakeside road (there are only two roads here; not sure where the other one goes – maybe up the very steep mountains??) and admired the viewty.  (The viewty…)  And then, on the side of the road, quite shy and discreet – a shop selling simcards!  We filled up our phones with about $1.70 worth of simcad and top-up.  (This did NOT seem enough to me…I will try to make a phone call tomorrow and see how long my 13,000 rupiah of credit buys me.)  The simcard man was very proud of his new baby, Felix.


Little Batak Felix, in his pink bonnet, with his doting mum and dad
I showed them photos of my own darling Tasmanian Felix and they thought he was lovely but that he seemed very big…Batak people are extremely small!


Felix must be a popular name here…look at this ferry!

FELIX the ferry!
The ferries come right along the shoreline every half hour or so.  They stop at every single accommodation place, very civilised!

Tuktuk, our little town on Samosir Island, is very clean.  Parapat – not so much…There are big piles of plasticrap to be found all along the roads and lakeside pathways.  I took a photo of a happy healthy chook family…see if you can find mother and chickies!


We had delicious grilled fish, salad, chips last night at Jenny’s Restaurant, with our German friend Claude…who turns out, unaccountably, to be called Knut…(I blame my cloggy sinuses!)


He is a nice man, calm, interesting.  He spent twenty five years in the German merchant navy until most of the ships got de-flagged and registered in Panama, Monrovia etc so they could employ cheap CHEAP labour from the Philippines  and other countries where people are desperate.  This was about the time of the Chernobyl meltdown, so he found himself training on-the-job as an inspector of emission rates in nuclear power plants.  Just as a matter of interest  there are 17 such plants in Germany, 70 in France??

He was very amused by my misunderstanding and had completely forgotten both of our names anyway. 


Rain!  From the shelter of the Reggae Bar...
* I won’t go into gruesome details – not that Google held back in any way – but they were quite partial to eating LIVE human flesh…Very strength-giving.  Apparently.

** Teman is one of the few Bahasa words I remember – memory like a sieve – and I know it means…FRIEND!  Pete and I are both a bit shocked by how much we have forgotten…some of it is returning but we have been confused and bamboozled by other languages since we left Indonesia (ahem…not very long ago…)

*** Jenny’s Restaurant is featured prominently in Lonely Plant, Wikitravel etc.  Jenny and Rinto are very charming and convivial and, I think, provide very stiff competition for all other restaurants along the Tuktuk strip.

BIRTHDAYS!

Angus Wakefield – 12 today!  My funny, clever supremely individual, eccentric grandson.  I rang him and said, so wittily, Happy birthday Angus!  How old are you today.  Sixteen?  He sighed wearily and said, That’s exactly what Jeff said.  Oh we are so original…I wil be seeing him (and the other three Wakefields… on 19th April – not long now – I can’t WAIT!!



Also: Nicole Headlam Darcey – much-loved wife, mother, daughter, friend and fundraiser extraordinaire!!



And:  Allan Mahoney – still Registrar at the Tasmanian Industrial Commission – keeping the flag flying!


Last but not least – my fabulous nephew Will Harmsen, 19 today, and off to swim (competeitlvely) in Queensland for a year.



No comments:

Post a Comment