Tuesday 1 April 2014

2nd April - leaving Hotel Clover - leaving Singapore - off to Medan - Hotel Budapest blah blah - not sure when next we will be in internet range...


Wednesday 2nd April

Well actually… I thought we would creep on back to Rebak, which is ALMOST home. 

A soothing glimpse, from above, of a white peacock
But after my excursion to the HellMouth of Digitalife Mall this afternoon I returned, to find Mr Peter James (thus is he known in all of the hospital queues he has been in recently) happily ensconced in front of a large Mac computer in the salubrious foyer of our salubrious (yes there are other words but…I am tired!!  Singapore is a big big exhausting city and I am a smalltown girl!!).  Oh dear surely time for a full stop???  So, to recap, there is Pete, at the computer, with tickets booked to…Medan, Indonesia heading for Lake Toba!!!

A soothing hibiscus
So as from tomorrow I will no longer be in the lap of Hotel Clover Luxury… I might not even be within reach of Cyberspace…So please bear with me.  I will take photos  of This And That.  And I will try to remember where I saw This And That.

No that is not me, shrouded in black...
So what happened yesterday?  Well…Mr Peter James, with companion (sometimes known as wife to placate the ultra-religious amongst us) went to the hospital, via MRT (train) and shuttle-bus-for-old-and-infirm and was declared…TICKETY BOO.  He was mightily surprised; he thought his eyes were flickering and fluttering and basically just…NO GOOD.

Beautiful cushions from the carpet shop in Arab Street
So…back to Hotel Clover, after a brief stop for a cheap nasi lemak/nasi goreng lunch.  I left Pete and Mac and went off to Digitalife Mall…our darling concierges, Hata and Khong, were very worried – could I get there BY MYSELF?  Without Mr Peter James?  Well yes…(I might be a smalltown girl but…I can cope…)

Orderly rolls of gorgeous carpets
I took a #32 bus down to DigitaLife full of hope, with kindness in my heart.  I left steely-eyed and NOT happy!  No ma’am, we cannot fix! said one after another very rudeboys* in various shops in this huge mall full of…computers.  What I needed was someone to tell me whether or not they could solve my  iPad problem…it doesn’t turn on very readily…or off.  And I need my iPad very much, for reading, for communicating, for…surviving the pitfalls of travel!**

Eventually I shuffled myself out of this mall, in a bit of a huff.  Up the street, into another mall… Raffles Place.  Oh deary me…many fashion places…

Singapore orchids
And oh how I wanted these shoes!!!



But no…first things first… I found, after a lot of struggle, a peaceful shop with a lovely man who gently talked me into a new iPad mini…

I am SO much an advertisement for iProducts!  Here are my: old iPad, new iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air…and yes they have a common theme in their wallpaper photos…8 glorious kiddiewinks!



Yesterday we went to the movies…as we do, in foreign climes.  And…oh how COLD…brrrrr…we came out frozen…and not happy.  Because we  didn’t like our chosen movie, Blah Blah Budapest Hotel.  All of the reviews – glowing.  Pete and Marguerite – hmmmphhh…

Last night-time photo of Masjid Sultan
And oh that Misty, back in Rebak via Scotland… She is SO FUNNY!!

Slashers!
So you are now Cloverised as well as Tanglinified - shame on you!  Actually I must confess that we ourselves have been Traderised in the past - and what a pleasant sensation it is.   Traders Hotel, Penang - right next the bus station.  So convenient.  Not once, not twice, but thrice I have snagged an Agoda bargain and got one of their *Club* rooms - which may well be fairly similar in comfort to a non-Club room, but with one vital distinction: it comes with a 2 hour Happy Hour.  Unlimited drinks & munchies from 6-8pm.  Wow! 

This was a new concept to us and I do remember on the first occasion  being approached by the waitress at 7.50,  both of us having consumed a  fair old quantity of wine  and both thinking the same thing: Uh, oh............. here comes the bill - but to our delight all  she said was:  "The bar is closing in 10 minutes, Sir - would you like a top up?"  Hic, hic - would we ever!

It is THE most generous event: hot & cold snackie things + tiny delicate sweet things [to eat, not the kind our Peters might get excited about.]  We wonder how they can sustain it night after night.  Unlimited wine + spirits + beer.  Help yourself, and if you're a tad slow they come round and top you up.  The  difficulty is finding your way back to your room without falling over.  {OK I exaggerate slightly!}

If I can find a deal at Traders when we need to go to Penang I snap it up!  Dinner for 2 + a bottle of wine [we have a problem in this department as you might have noticed] is not only hard to find in Malaysia, but doesn't come cheap, so we justify being Traderised cos  the room includes 'dinner' - and the bed is divinely comfortable as well!

The 2nd time we went, several months after the first [another Thai visa I suspect as we were 5 months getting deck renewed], we were a tad relieved  that there had been a change of staff, so no one remembered us from previously - but on our 3rd visit the barman with the generous touch recognised us immediately.  'Welcome back, Sir.........'  He must have been tempted to ask: 'Would you like your first glass of wine now, Sir?'    Have to say we haven't been back recently despite several trips to Peter's dermatologist - but that's only because the plane doesn't land till 6pm - leaving insufficient time to do justice to the freebies!  Plus - I will not pay normal price.  It's got to be 'on special' - so maybe there is hope for us yet.

Prettiest washbasin ever, at the Turkish restaurant in Arab Street quarter
* Rude because as they spoke they turned their backs to me!!!  And…I so hate people being rude…

Prettiest toilet backdrop!
** I know it is only two years old….but I have used it so very much…for reading, email, mahjong, boggle…

Looking up from restaurant table 

No comments:

Post a Comment