Friday 11 April 2014

12th April - KL market - Pete and Puzzles - Rebak Island (Langkawi) - not sure if photos will upload...


Saturday 12th April

Our last morning in Kuala Lumpur involved breakfast and coffee at the Central market, opposite Geo Hotel.  This market is full of better-than-normal crapola.  In fact a lot of the items for sale – gorgeous Kashmir rugs etc – don’t even come into the crapola category.  Pete and I admired many of the things, admiring the ingenuity, the displays, whatever. 

Sparkly THINGS!
But one thing about Pete – he NEVER feels the need to buy anything.*  He just lacks that gene…

Until we got to the wooden puzzle shop… We had looked at it last time we were in KL, and I had seen his eyes widen in a most unusual manner.  He wanted to buy STUFF!!!  Unnecessary stuff!  Aha – he is human after all!  I left him in this little shop for a very long time, while I darted about Chinatown, on a mission to buy a few small domestic necessities not easily found on Langkawi.  And when I came back, he was still there, with the ever-patient shop person, who knows how to do all of the puzzles.  She certainly earned her commission that day, and Pete came away with four little paper packages and a very happy, anticipatory look. 


He *says* they are for presents but I’m not so sure… He is having way too much fun!  Ummm…not what I would call fun.  I show the whites of my eyes when he dangles a completed puzzle before me and challenges me to re-thread that cord, undo that know, move that little ball from one impossible position in the intricate little wooden maze to another.  (Sometimes I am NOT fun at all!)



This morning I hauled out my dear little sewing machine and did a few little jobs.  #1 – fixing our poor frayed Australian flag, which is so tattered it is an embarrassment.  It is now no longer rectangular but never mind – it no longer has a raggedy fringe! 

But…unaccountably the white stars have rotted away so it is still just a bit shabby…I have just stepped outside to look at the flags on our neighbouring boats and…ours is not too bad at all!



Maybe this could be the beginning of a mightily lucrative business - FlagRepair.com… Or maybe not; I really don’t think any of these flags could be rescued, even with my dear little sewing machine going like the clappers.



Job #2 involved the help of… Mr Peter James.**  Putting more beans in the beanbag is definitely a two-person job.  I got all of the ingredients lined up and called Mr Peter James.  Deeply furrowed brow…no response…then a deep sigh.  Don’t you know how busy I am?  How stressful this is???*** 




Last night was BIG at the beach bar.  They actually extended HappyHour until 8pm because there was no sign of anybody leaving before then.  We had music!  Guitar, banjo, bongos, and the odd tambourine or shaker circulating around the crowd.  I took lots of photos, very happily, with my iphone and they all came out…black…

But, even without photographic evidence, we had a great time, with los of chat, lots of catching up.  We were very happy to see Jon and Irina (SV Footloose.)  They are looking very well and unscarred after their horrid motorbike accident on Langkawi late last year.  I took a very nice bit of film of Irina being very enthusiastic with a tambourine but…I can’t upload it; computer says NO!



I sat with Misty and Peter and spent most of the evening laughing – Misty is VERY funny…She told me about Peter’s romantic proposal of marriage… After they had been together twenty years, and had been sailing around the world for most of that time, they were coming in to a new port.  Peter said, very seriously, that he had a long to-do list when they got to shore.****  Clean out the bilges, scrub the decks, touch up the paintwork, repair the toilet, stock up the wine supplies, change the oil in the engine, get married…And she said YES - he is a particularly nice man...



* This is something I very much envy…I just have to see sparkly prettiness and…I want want WANT to buy it.  (But…I don’t…) 

** In every hospital queue we went into in Singapore, this is how they would address Pete – Mr Peter James, are you ready to have your eyes scraped? etc.  Misty and Peter (The Slashers, from SV Tamoure,) have just been to Penang for medical treatment, and he was Mr Peter John in every queue…

*** Yes of course he did tear himself away from the puzzle and the beanbag is once again nice and plump.  And I have swept up all of those annoying little escaping balls of nothingness.

****Isn’t there always??  Look at the list below…I got the following email from one of our sailing friends this morning; the boat is getting some work done at Boat Lagoon (Phuket) … and bear in mind that the boat in question is state-of-the-art, beautiful, quite new…
 
The list of work is long: keel lock, rudder bearing, anti-fouling,
touching up of paint spots, new staysail, mainsail repair and a new
sail bag, lots of canvas work including a new dodger, stainless steel
work, a new generator, a hard top bimini and some rigging.
Furthermore, repair of the radar, the SSB radio, the outboard, and
installation of an additional aircon.

No comments:

Post a Comment