Tuesday 15 April 2014

16th April - hardstand Rebak marina - antifoul - family news


Wednesday 16th April

Last night Pete did some work on the trampoline net.  This is easier when we are on the ground. We found a rickety scaffold and up he went.  I stayed on deck and handed tools to him as required.  So much better than when we are on water, when every single item which gets dropped disappears instantly into the mysterious blue sea… From the deck at present, anything which drops just bounces around in the pavers and can be FOUND. 

Our slightly rickety access
We were watched very closely by a pair of hornbills.  They became very indignant when he started drilling, and came down to hop around and squawk on top of a nearby wheelie bin.  This was not, of course, when I had my camera close at hand…



This morning we got up at daybreak and painted both hulls with a thick second coat, and then another layer around the top edges, where the worst of the slime and growth occurs.   I distinguished myself by painting the anodes behind the propellers…oh no!  I knew not to paint anodes but…I didn’t know these were them.  So to speak.  While Pete sanded away under the keels, I sat on a bucket and tried to scrape the dreaded blue paint off.  Not much success but I did make my thumbs ache most prodigiously and now all I want to do is lie on the couch with my book and nurse them tenderly in my lap.

The dinghy is still a work in progress…Craig, from SV Gemini II, kindly came over this morning to help.  Pete set him the task of finding the latest leak and patching it.  Finding the leak was no issue; it was blindingly obvious, with air gushing out from one of the seams.  Whether or not the patch works is another matter.  And whether or not it springs another leak…

Deflated as usual...
On a more cheery note, our German friend Stephi, from Lake Toba, made it to her jungle trek in Northern Sumatra.  Last seen, she was climbing into a van, hoping to get to her destination, but a bit doubtful because of the elections, which might clog up the system on the roads.  But tall is well – she did her trek, which was very difficult, and which left her with aching muscles – maybe she should come and lie on the couches on 2XS, with me??  And she saw orangutans in the wild…



For our historical records, here is a class photo of the Agricultural Science class in 1963.  Pete is front row far right; Weng Wah Ko, our Moluccan friend, is second from the left, front row. Good thing they are both still bright and cheery, out and about!



And the best news is…the Wakefields are coming!  I just spoke to Nicky.  She was in the car on her way back from hospital and she sounded very chipper.  The doctor has given her the all-clear so all is well!  Apparently Hamish and Angus have been wonderful, very helpful and loving and uncomplaining, and concerned about her health.  When they saw her this afternoon, Angus rushed into her arms and said, “Oh Mum, I’m so glad to see you!  How are you feeling?  We have missed you!  Are you better?”  She was very impressed because quite a few minutes passed before he asked… “Can you fly??”  Such restraint…

2 comments: