Monday 8 July 2013

8th July - rally packages - Fannie Bay to Bogat Road


Monday 8th July

Today wasn’t a Darwin Day of Leisure.

We started out by loading up the dinghy with our bikes and going in to the yacht club to queue up for our Indonesian Rally packages, supposedly available between 10-1.  Well we waited and waited…all quite pleasant, some of our sailing friends came and went – Carsten and Mercedes, Jim and Gina.  And still we waited…

Eventually it was our turn to talk to Sam and John and to get a big red bag full of…paperwork… By then the yacht club lobby was heaving with people – junior learner sailors, senior rally-ers… I couldn’t hear a single word Sam and John said; fortunately I could hear Pete, who has a good strong voice, so I was more or less in the loop.

By about 1.00 we had finished and it was time to climb onto our trusty little bikes.  We rode through salubrious Fannie Bay and then out about 5ks to the Bagot Rd light industrial area – Pete loves these places; he immerses himself in whatever is available with great gusto.  This time we were in Jaycar, for well over an hour.  I sat on some steps and looked at my emails on my phone; Pete bought a beautiful new inverter, which he then had to lug back in his backpack.

Speaking of emails on my phone…oh deary me, my gmail account has taken it upon itself to send a Sammy message to EVERYONE in my constants list, saying Important Document.  I have been getting bewildered replies from far and wide… My contacts list is extensive… There are people on it who I have only met once or twice; I collect contact information…and a lot of these people will be saying, Who the…??  And What the…??? 

But amongst all of the confusion, a few good things…



An email from my old friend John Tully (photo - at a book launch, at Lark Distillery, for a previous book) , as follows:

Hmmm... Darwin on a boat. Methinks there are crocodiles everywhere up there, so be very careful! Some friends of friends were sailing up there and one day discovered that a big croc had climbed up on the bathing platform at the rear of the boat. For me, that's the stuff of real nightmares! I also recall shining a torch over a billabong in Kakadu one night and seeing all the eyes reflected in the light.

Anyway, have an enjoyable time apart from the saurians.

He has a new book coming out – oh how productive he is!


Not bad for a former Poatina BadBoy!!

On our way back…hot hot HOT!!!  - Pete decided to turn right instead of left so we could check out a marine facility just a few kilometers away.   I was quite happy; I was able to take a beautiful portrait photo of my darling bike:



And one of some delightful little birds on a wire:



(Riding in Darwin is actually very pleasant in spite of the heat.  It is quite flat, and there are beautiful bike paths everywhere we have needed to go thus far.)

And on the way home home HOME to 2XS we stopped so I could take a photo of the beautiful little Fannie Bay cliffs:



Life is good…



No comments:

Post a Comment