Monday 22 July 2013

22nd July - shopping extravaganza - waterfilter etc

 Monday 22nd July



Oh yes – that was Pete and me.  Yesterday.  Happily frolicking beside a tinkling, cool waterfall in a beautiful national park.

Today – not so much…there are no photos; we are hot, bothered, exhausted…

Pete has been working on the boat all day, in the hot HOT sun, with a strong, capable mechanic called Darren who – mercifully – turned up and worked like a Trojan all day to fix the water pump problem.  He has a similar morning ahead of him, working on – those pesky rudders!!

I had a plan for the day…it involved an accomplice:



Denise and Cameron are in Cullen Bay Marina but they are Darwin-ites and they have a car!!  And they very generously offered to help people like me scamper about doing far-flung jobs.  I find it VERY hard to ask for help but…I couldn’t see any other way of getting from place to place without having to accept Denise’s very kind offer.  (Yes I could have hired a car but…how much do I want to drive around an unknown city in the heat?  Not very much…)

I had a lovely walk into Fannie Bay to catch the bus – I didn’t think Denise would really want my folding bike on top of all of my other purchases.  And the bus turned up, within minutes, just like magic.  I do know other people have had problems with the buses not turning up, or driving straight past, but Pete and I have had a magic run, with buses turning up at crucial times and allowing us to get from Fannie Bay to Bunnigns to Casuarina to the city and well anywhere we can think of, really.

I trotted along to Woolworths for the first part of my mission, just stopping briefly to snap another of my favourite colourful buildings



And then I worked that trolley, up and down the aisles, like a velociraptor!  I didn’t have Pete there to say, No we don’t need quite so many…insert here an item of non-perishable food which I consider to be indispensable…

So I staggered through the checkout with an alarming load.  My check-out chick was extra kind, extra helpful, and at the end she said, “Well I am giving you a discount; I think Woolworths can afford it!”  I was very grateful and tottered out through the doors with my teetering load.  Just as Denise arrived to pick me and my load up…crash tinkle…I lost two jars of whole-egg mayonnaise (my favourite!) and several other smashable items…My new bestfriend – a young bloke who had cadged $2 from me a few minutes earlier- rushed to my aid, and produced paper towel out of nowhere while I said OH NO (repeatedly) quite loudly in a slightly high-pitched voice. 

He and I managed to get everything into Denise’s car and we went off to do tasks at Spotlight (mosquito netting and Velcro) and Officeworks (rubber stamp, to impress officials in Indonesia.)



In record time we were back at Spot On Marine, where Pete was labouring away with Darrell.  I spent a good hour unloading and unpacking and carrying stuff (Packaging!!!) to the handy skip.

Here is just some of the shopping:



My afternoon was just as productive if less frenetic.  I had a dip in my own personal pool and then – cooking time!!

And just in case you need to know: degree of difficulty?  Well 2XS was leaning quite a lot at the time; also Pete and Darrell were banging and crashing in the engine hatches, which was just mildly alarming…



Oh and I also did a nice big load of washing- so, an entirely Stepford Wife day – shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing!!

And here, to distract us, is a NT dingo!




1 comment:

  1. ...bottles of soya mayonnaise... ? Perhaps? xxx

    ReplyDelete