Friday 12 July 2013

12th July - Darwin cont'd


Friday 12th July

This is the same place where Captain Bligh landed few hundred years back. Some people say, the place where he landed only few hundred feet where you are going to land. Same place, but your boat is just much nicer.

Do not forget to fly Indonesian flag. Make sure you fly it higher. Please don't ask.

Yes, some of you may be a little bit bewildered by the number of photo copies you have to have. Just go with the flow. Just treat it like you are having a flu shot.

The above are all quotes from Sam’s Blog.  Sam is the Indonesian part of the Sam & John duo, who are the representatives of the Sail Indonesia Rally team, based at the yacht club every weekday morning, to answer questions, give out packages, solve problems.



I am very taken with Sam’s blog and will quote some more as we go along.



Today we caught a bus into town, then one out to Tipperary Waters.  This is not very far from town but it takes 25 minutes in the bus, which winds around the very pretty, picturesque streets.  I am very taken with Darwin.  Architects are not in the least afraid to use colour, and very pleasing it is, on these bright, shiny new houses – delightful shades of ochre, red, soft blue, cream.



Just lovely!

Almost as nice as the lavish trees…



Why Tipperary Waters?  Well because there is another chandlery there and Captain Pete is magnetically drawn to chandleries.  He found various items which made him smile just a bit more than he has been smiling lately.

The next bus wasn’t due for a long time so were going to walk back into town, which is, as I said, not very far.  But…it was fearfully hot…and we fortuitously met up with Alan (NZ) and Valerie (Canada) from Screensaver (yacht) and they had, oh mercy – a car…

We sat in a cool pub, just briefly, then caught yet another bus back towards Fannie Bay.  These buses re just great, so regular, so clean and shiny, with such nice polite bus drivers.  Just about everyone who gets on has questions for the driver, which must be very exhausting.  But they are scrupulously polite and we are very impressed.

I got off at the Fannie Bay shops, while Pete continued to Casuarina to visit the BUPA office.  I had an appointment with a doctor because – oh yes another injury! – I have a slightly festy foot, were I just mildly scratched it with a bit of sand in my shoe.  And now it is all nasty…  The tropics are not kind to humans.



After my visit with nice, kind Dr Julian, who prescribed some internal and external medication and gave me a nice new dressing for my wound, I went to the little IGA to buy food for our lunch tomorrow – we have invited some of our Darwin friends.  I ended up with a very heavy bag, plus a box of XXXX – there is none left, on the boat.  Hmmm…how much would a taxi driver hate such a short fare??  I was debating this with the shop assistant, and she called a young bloke over and asked him what he thought.  Well what he thought was – hop into my big shiny silver 4WD and I will whizz you back to the sailing club!  I tried to give him a tenner but he wouldn’t hear of it and said to let him know ten minutes in advance next time and he would do the same.

I love Darwin!

No comments:

Post a Comment