Wednesday 13 April 2016

13th April 2016 - El Nino in Mindanao - morning in Davao

Wednesday 13th April 2016

It is still very very hot here, and very very dry.  On Saturday at Camp Holiday we were sitting on our little porch having a little drink when two very friendly people, Eileen and Neil came to chat.  They have just returned to live on Mindanao after sixteen years in Canada.  We commented on the weather and they said, “But yes it has rained in the past month!  And in fact it is raining now!”


Rain??  A very fine sheet of drizzle was in fact falling from the sky.  I rushed out to stand in the rain but…I didn’t even get wet, it all evaporated before it could have any effect.  The farmers here are having a very hard time, with their fields drying up, their orchards turning crispy.  They all shrug and say, El Nino, if you ask them about the weather.

This morning I went to town, to pick up our 2XS cards, from Victoria Plaza, and to get a new mattress made for the spare cabin.  I hauled the old one out yesterday.  It was GHASTLY being engulfed in sticky old foam in the heat of the day, in the narrow passageways of 2XS!!  The old mattress truly was horrid, even when stretched out on the concrete outside the narrow boat passageways.  I was going to haul it up to the clubroom and give it to Poipoi the gardener, who wants every single bit of crapola coming his way.  But Michael the painter leapt upon it with a glad cry.  “Garbage??” he asked, keenly.  I said well no, not garbage, but that he could have it and he beamed with joy and lugged it home.  I hope his wife doesn’t notice quite how sweaty and …ghastly…it is…

I was going to stop at the Swiss Deli for a restorative cup of coffee between my four jeepney rides, two ferry rides, one van ride and one tricycle ride but…once again there was a power blackout.  No aircon, no coffee…so I trudged sadly out and walked down the hot dry road to Manadaue Foam to order the new (strangely shaped) mattress.


None of this was exactly fun but probably I was having more fun than Pete, who has been toiling away all day long with his team of willing workers.  But I did buy what I think is a very nice hat.  Unfortunately my selfie skills have not improved at all…but the hat is good, isn’t it?


1 comment:

  1. You are a mad woman! Lovely hat on the mad woman's head x

    ReplyDelete