Thursday 6 November 2014

7th November - tropical pool life - kookaburras and kingfishers


Friday 7th November

 This afternoon we went to the Chronic (Aquatic Centre…) Centre for swimming lessons.  Noise!  Light!  Chlorine in the air!  MUCH fun!  It reminded me of all the children happily frolicking in pools in the tropics.  So easy to learn to swim, when you can splash right in any old time.



When we were in Rebak Marina (happy days…) we swam in the beautiful pool with overhanging trees.  Bliss!  So lovely to float on my back looking up at the fragrant white flowers.  (I thought they were frangipani but in fact now I know they were gardenia…Maybe…) 



There was a family staying in the resort for a few weeks.  Good looking French, with an older boy and two little tackers.  The children were at the pool for many hours everyday.  Clambering out and pushing each other in.  The teenage boy would hurl the little ones in over and over until they were hysterical with the fun of it all, and then with exhaustion.  Pete watched them one day and said, “Gawd look at those kids!  Their parents don’t do much about them, do they?”  I had to tell him that whenever the parents emerged, in their stylish swimsuits, they would stand on the edge of the pool at the father would…hurl his beautiful wife into the deep end.



This morning I stalked a kookaburra.  Now I have been able to look closely at the photos I took, I can see it is a fluffy fledgling.  And very big!  The kingfishers in the tropics are much more colorful, and very much smaller…




Today’s BirthdayGirl.. Chris Wilson, my dear friend through thick and thin for MANY many years…She is off to Antarctica in January for yet another fabulous adventure and I look forward to some stunning photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment