Wednesday 26 November 2014

27th November - handbags for sailors - Prezi prentation


Thursday 27th November

Handbags are a  BIG theme all over the world.


Bags in Kuala Lumpur
Huge shops in huge shopping malls seem to sell nothing else; markets are heaving with bags.  Pete and I always gaze in amazement and estimate that there are more bags for sale in shops than there are humans.  I have my own very beautiful soft black leather bag, and a few unsatisfying smaller bags which do not meet my needs.  It has been dawning on me that I need…a better bag.  A safer one, with more zipped up compartments and pockets.  A stylish soft leather bag does NOT cut the mustard when you are living on a boat…

As far as I am concerned, having a helpful, kind sales assistant makes ALL the difference when making important decisions of this nature… On my way to North Hobart last night (pub night) I stopped in Strandbags and had my hand held through the choosing process.  I now have a wonderful new bag with many zipped compartments.  Oh the bliss of moving everything from the insecure areas in my old bag and shutting my precious iPhone and my equally precious visacard into their very own designated secure areas!  Thank you Sam!


Jo and Sam
Sam extolled the virtues of my new Hedgren bag.  Apparently the strap is reinforced with thin wire so it can’t be cut by bad bagsnatchers.  I didn’t have the heart to tell her than a very bad bagsnatcher won’t carea bout this and will just pull me over with the aforementioned strap and then pull the bag off my arm regardless.  I hope, however, NEVER to be mugged…

Jeff has taught me a new and wonderful THING to do on the internet – a Prezi presentation!



All I need is an internet connection and a big white smartboard and – I am up and away with a photo presentation!  I went to Jemima’s prep class at Blackmans Bay Primary school yesterday, with my prezi, which had been nicely tidied up by Jeff – I had managed to download photos on the map format but with quite a degree of chaos and disorganisation.  Jemima introduced me to her class, and the class next door, which had come in to see what was up.  “This is my grandmother who has been travelling around the world on a boat, looking at crocodiles.”  Well yes, crocs have been a major theme in our travels, indeed!


No school photos but...a lovely photo of Rose, Zoe and Paul the magpie
I enjoyed my half hour with the children; they were interested and engagement – mostly… There were a few minutes for them to ask questions before they had to rush off to an emergency assembly about school closures (protests against the drastic cuts about to be imposed on government schools.)  Many enthusiastic hands UP.  I asked a dear little girl what her question was.  “My cockatoo died and we had to bury it.”  The teachers looked mortified and said, “Yes, great, but any QUESTIONS!’  More hands shot up… “Can I have a drink?” 

I do understand how hard it is to come up with relevant questions… recently at the South Hobart school fair a well-intentioned oldcodger walked around the school wearing academic robes and a mortar board and a sign indicting he was the History Man, ready wiling and able to answer any local history questions.  I avoided him as best I could.. But Jeff found him and tried to get Leo to ask him pertinent questions.  Leo, who is a smart boy, immediately looked totally vacant and dopey and said, “ummm…no….”  Jeff then cornered me.  When confronted by the History Man’s hopeful little grey beard face…I too immediately looked totally vacant and dopey and said, “ummm…no….”  Maybe I should have asked him for a drink…


Constitution Dock - a bit of Hobart history...

No comments:

Post a Comment