Saturday 3 May 2014

3rd May - leaving Rebak - leaving Langkawi



Saturday 3rd May

Nicky and Gavin back inTasmania...slight change of wardrobe!
(A bit late getting this one up…never mind!  We are now just leaving Langkawi, in the dark early morning, and we should be in Penang in the late afternoon in the daylight.)

Leaving Rebak was a bit of a wrench…



Misty came early to say goodbye, and to leave me a book.  Cecilie and John came to wave us off, and to take photos – I took photos of them taking photos of us.

Hard to see...but they are there, on the end of B Dock!

It all looked so lovely…and it is such a cosy nest there, in the peaceful marina, with all of the facilities of beautiful Vivanta Resort at our disposal.  So…time to leave that cosy nest!

The sea was calm and silky and we saw…a pod of dugongs!  Not clearly enough to take an Attenborough (or Hamish Wakefield) photo, but definitely dugongs, shyly showing their sleek backs just above the water.  Very briefly… Not a fin in sight - they had to be dugongs!  As well as being fin-less, they are nowhere near as energetic as dolphins, so we are delighted to have seen them, even if only fleetingly.

We arrived at the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club with no incident, all ticketyboo.  And then off into Kuah for a final BIG shopping expedition… I filled a trolley with chilli beef sausages* and other very delicious things, as well as staples like tinned tomatoes and baked beans.  Last time we were in Billion (the biggest shopping centre in Langkawi) they – bewilderingly – had never heard of tinned tomatoes…but this time – a miracle!  And even a few jars of Leggo tomato products.  I felt I had spent up BIG until I found Pete with THREE trolleys laden with bargains from the bottle shop… We wil never again get such cheap Australian wine, Bombay Sapphire gin, Grey Goose vodka so…he invested heavily but wisely.


The Yacht Club has enormous trolleys, fortunately, and even more fortunately we were met by our lovely friends Phil and Cheryl (SV Adagio) who just happened to be there at exactly the right moment for Phil to be able to help Pete heave, push and shove the enormous load down the pontoons to 2XS.


Phil and Pete
The men needed beer.

Marguerite and Cheryl
Cheryl and I needed pamplemousse cordial (PINK!) with big fat ice cubes – oh bliss!  It was so very hot…**

Tomorrow we leave EARLY – 6.30am – for Penang!  Back into SailingMode!  Dugongs – here we come!


Now we can see John and Cecilie!
* Sailors products, made by Don and Jean and their team in Matsirat, not far from the Rebak ferry terminal, are just wonderful. 

** I blame the heat for what followed… Cheryl and Phil left, Jenny and Terry, (SV Sylvia May) who had joined us for a drink, left… Pete trotted down to Customs, Immigration, Harbour Master, to check us out of Langkawi…and I unpacked the groceries, humming lightly under my breath…until OH NO??? Where is my bag?  My medium-sized fake-Prada bag containing …my visacard, passport card, iPhone (AAAGGHH), much money, my modem – newly topped up with 4 gigabytes, my lesser (travelling) Nokia phone, 18 postcards (plus stamps), Pete’s new 100 ringgit phone top-up card…The odd biro…Panic time!  I searched high and low but…no fake-Prada bag.  At the back of my mind was…hmmm…Cheryl has one which is identical.  In fact I bought mine (Patong Beach) because I thought hers (Lovina Beach, Bali) was so nifty… And yes!  Cheryl had happily walked off with not one but TWO fake-Prada bags!  Oh joy oh rapture I was SO relieved!!  What was my worst loss?? No not the money or the visacard…it was of course …my beloved iPhone…

No comments:

Post a Comment