Saturday 24 May 2014

24th May - Pulau Kapas - Qimi resort - cricket on the beach


Saturday 24th May


Dozens of people come here, in small boats, from nearby Terengganu.  They all wear bright orange life jackets and they have the best possible time, snorkeling in the beautiful bays of Pulau Kapas.




They like to chat, and to practise their English, as they bob past 2XS.  “Have you been snorkeling?  Ah it is BEAUTIFUL!”  And it is indeed beautiful… I feel all relaxed, with nicely stretched muscles from all the swimming.  As well as this I have added many beautiful peaceful memories of coral, and fish, and giant clams, to call upon in times of stress.

I managed to swim up and down the bay about four times, and was just a bit reluctant when Pete suggested actually setting foot on shore to explore a bit of the island… There were still bommies I hadn’t investigated, fish I hadn’t seen…

Qimi Private Beach cafe 
But of course he was right, and we had a lovely walk across to some of the other little bays, where there are lovely chalets, and yummy little restaurants.



And a great big swing…

Thanks Lyn for taking the photo and for *encouraging* Pete to pose for it...
Tonight everyone alighted from their boats and set foot on the beach, to play cricket, and to have a potluck dinner in a small patch of shade.  The best position for a cricketer was…fielding, with both feet in the water… I managed to stay very happily wet for most of the game, because the ball couldn’t help but go into the sea.

Pete played most valiantly, flinging himself headlong into the sand in pursuit of the ball.  (No I don’t have photos; I rightly suspected it would be a very sandy occasion and I didn’t want to subject any of our precious cameras to sandblasting.)  

And tomorrow, sad to say, we’re on our way, won’t be back for many a day….

I could happily stay right here in this lovely bay for … well until the food runs out, which is just about now anyway… We are supposed toe be going to a marina in Terengganu.  I had a very strange and unsuccessful phone conversation with the marina manger, who was very kind and helpful but who really didn’t understand anything I said to him… And I didn’t understand his instructions at all.

So…we will see, tomorrow…



No comments:

Post a Comment