Wednesday 14 May 2014

14th and 15th May - One15 Marina Singapore - angry taxi driver - depth sounder problems


Wednesday 14th May
Thursday 15th May
(no internet connection yesterday…)


Moon over 2XS
We started Wednesday with a small jaunt into the city to do our necessary clear in/clear out paperwork at an office in Keppel Street, in the city.  Easy to get there…if you have a nice taxi driver…

Just a glimpse of AngryGirl is enough!
We had a woman who was so astoundingly rude it was hard not to gaze at her in silent astonishment…She was very cross and crabby because we didn’t know how to get off the roundabout where she picked us up.  Pete gently pointed out that SHE was the driver and the local, not us, and that made her even crankier.  WHERE do you want to go, in Keppel Street??  You have given me no address!  Pete said Number #10 bus stop would be fine and she shrieked, I am NOT a bus driver!  I don’t know where the stops are!!

Ummm OK how about we get out right here…and catch a bus… We were actually quite invigorated by this encounter.  Mostly people, everywhere in the world, are polite and helpful…even if they don’t know where in Keppell Street their weird Australian customers want to go…




The middle part of the day we spent in what seems to be our spiritual home in Singapore – the Singapore General Hospital.  I have a (very) minor ailment and Pete says if I force him to go to the hospital for his ailments, I have to give in with good grace for mine.  So…I did that.  But I showed the whites of my eyes when it was revealed, at the triage stage, that I would have to wait AT LEAST 3 hours and 20 minutes before I would see any sort of doctor… Oh the horror and the boredom…I wasn’t prepared, did NOT have my iPad with me, or even a magazine.  How could I sit for so long in a hospital waiting area full of sick people, coughing and sneezing and infecting me???

Some pretty Singapore greenery just outside 2XS
So…we came back to One15 Marina where the kindly manager and his assistant gave me a list of GP services close by to Sentosa Island.  Tomorrow I will go, iPad in bag, and prepare to wait…but not for 3 hours and 20 minutes!!

I took a photo of a photo shoot right outside 2XS
Marina managers, thus far in our experience, are invariably calm, competent and pleasant.  I suppose it goes with the territory… There is always something going wrong, with a boat, with weather, with people in general.  So a marina manager would just have to be calm, competent and pleasant.  I talked to one such kindly manger recently, and he said that yes indeed, it can be very difficult dealing with people, boats, reservations.  He gets booking months in advance for specific dates and then…a phone call, an email, a radio call to say that the engines have broken down, or the anchor winch is broken, or…well whatever can go wrong, does.  And then people say they are staying for two weeks but when push comes to shove…something goes wrong, or their wife does a runner and they have to cast around looking for crew and they end up staying for eons.  Sometimes it must be easier to be an accountant – numbers stay where you put them!

Thursday

It is now Thursday morning and we are off on another jaunt.  I am going to see a GP in Vivo shopping mall; Pete is traipsing way out into the boondocks to get the depth sounder re-programmed.  It is behaving VERY badly and leaves us in the lurch just when it shouldn’t.*  Sometimes it tells us, cheerily, that we have 200 metres of water under us when we are out to sea.  Well, yes. But then when we approach the shore to anchor and we REALLY need to know whether we have three metres or maybe just a few centimetres – BLANK!  Very much NOT fun…

2XS in beautiful, posh One15 marina
Nothing is open in Vivo mall; nothing except – a coffee shop, with WiFi!  This is where we have planed to met Ru and Bridget, around 11.00, when, presumably, Pete and I will have fixed everything – the depth sounder, and my minor ailment.

* This causes a lot of unwanted stress…

No comments:

Post a Comment