Tuesday 27 May 2014

27th May - Terengganu - museum


Tuesday 27th May

Local batik
The marina workers have tirelessly poured 800 litres of diesel into the thirsty fuel tanks of 2XS.  Today we had just one lone worker, Hisham.*  Thirsty work for men as well as for boats, so I took big glasses of icy blackcurrant juice up for Pete and for Hisham.  Hisham looked at his a bit nervously, and said, “Not alcohol?”  He was very relieved it was only Ribena…

Hisham
Today was a domestic day.  On the boat I washed bed linen and tea towels, and cooked two lasagnas for our passage across the South China Sea later this week.  And off the boat we ventured to Giant Supermarket to stock up, for the passage across the SCS…(Hence the cooking.)

I didn’t want to leave Terengganu without going to the museum.  Elizabeth (SV Labarque,) who has a very close connection with this town,** told me it was a wonderful museum, with fabulous gardens full of restored palaces, and old boats.  And indeed the gardens were wonderful, along the banks of the river.



There are lots of old houses (palaces?) which have been rescued from locations where they are no longer wanted.


All very beautiful, and serene, all that wood.

This Dutch house was my favourite
A bamboo thicket proved to be absolutely heaving with rapid squirrels leaping and scampering.  VERY pleased to capture at least one of them – a bit middle distance but never mind; it is a squirrel!  On my iPhone!



We found a rubber tree, leaking rubber, and I took a photo of Pete testing it with his fingers.


This photo came in very handy an hour or so later when I lost Pete in the vast museum complex…

Just a small section of this massive complex
He had left me with the children’s craft organsier, who was very keen for me to make a little dollything with her.

Yes!  I nailed it!  (With help...)
“I will just be in the gallery along there,” he said.  Well…he wasn’t…I ended up going back to the foyer and asking for help.  A very kind woman took pity on me and said she would find him on the close-circuit cameras, once I had shown her the aforementioned photo of Pete Avec Rubbertree.

And yes she found him; he had indeed been in Gallery B, but…he had found a small, hidden set of stairs not immediately obvious to me, and had gone down to gaze in wonder at a very tatty old collection of stuffed Malaysian animals…

Black panther, reconstructed!
Tomorrow we are leaving Terengganu, heading for another beautiful island (Pulau Bidung) about twenty miles away.  Ah…swimming in clear water!  I will be happy!

A beautiful bit of silk on display (the museum was full of random  items)
* He was very tickled when I showed him a photo of Hamish and he worked out that the names were anagrams…

** She taught here for two years, more than 35 years ago, when Malaysia was a very different place.

No comments:

Post a Comment