Monday 26 May 2014

26th May - Terengganu Tour - boat building - crystal mosque - floating mosque


Monday 26th May

It is 6.15pm and Pete and I are ready for Sleepyboboland…



This morning there was barely time to admire the beautiful sunrise and our bus was here, waiting to whisk us away for a Terengganu Experience.


Fist stop involved what our guide called A Morning Walk.  Very nice too, through an older suburb with pleasant wooden houses, fruit trees,



and a few boat-building yards.



These lovely boats, under very s-l-o-w and careful construction, were wildly popular with the men.


Some of us found it just too TOO hot and found it necessary to find shady spots to sit and look at the warm brown water.


Mosques featured large on the agenda, of course.  First the Crystal Mosque – VERY sparkly!


We were invited to come inside… I was not extra keen because we had to put on more layers of clothes, and…well, I was HOT.

Paul, from SV Calypso, on my left, has his cap tucked into his robes...
Our guide kitted me out, and said, as he tied the scarf under my chin, Oh you look so nice!  Well…I didn’t look nice*…and when he had a closer look he was a bit concerned and made me fasten my robes up to my chin and down to my toes – I was, he whispered, showing CHEST, and LEG!

Pete with Sazli
Pete too had to wear a robe because he was wearing his short and was thus showing leg above the knee…just.

Next mosque was white, and floating.  Very pretty!



We then went to Chinatown, which I liked very much.  But…not much time to explore; Pete and I had to go to Customs (Kastom) and Harbour Master (Jabatan Laut.)  Much filling in of forms… We still have to do Immigration, tomorrow at the airport.

(At least here in Malaysia bureaucracy has a kindly face… Today one of our sailing friends told us about some people who were travelling form one SE Asian country to another on their yacht.  They stopped near an island** for a swim and…were promptly arrested because they didn’t have entry papers.  And…they spent two days in prison.  When Pete told me I was horrified – in their BATHERS???)

At 4.00 we went to the splendidly named Paradise Excellence*** Restaurant for…high tea…(hi-tea).

Dave (Jackster) and Elizabeth ( Labarque)
We are now awaiting fuel in jerrycans…and…Sleepyboboland!  It can’t come too soon!

* I have a very nasty expression on my face…

** I’m not saying WHICH country.  But it was NOT Malaysia!

**  Maybe it wasn’t Excellence but…it was some such fabulous word!

1 comment:

  1. You might be shrouded in clothing - but the blue reflection of the sunglasses are the tell clue that it's you! X

    ReplyDelete