Thursday 15 May 2014

16th May - TasmanianDay in Singapore - leaving One15 Marina


Friday 16th May

Another photoshoot on the boardwalk
After our visit to the hospital on Tuesday Pete and I had dinner at a little café along the marina front.  I was totally elated to see a familiar face – the lady in the records office in the National Eye Hospital!  She had been talking to another client while Pete was getting the records for his insurance claim!  I nearly ran out and kissed her… I am sure she would have been delighted; such a close relationship, we have…

Ru Gregg, Bridget Walch, Marguerite, Pete
This illustrated to me how wonderful it is to see familiar faces… We don’t know anyone in Singapore.  But now yes we do have Tasmanian friends here – Ru and Bridget!  We were reunited in Vivo mall.  I was thrilled to bits to see Ru strolling past the Coffee Bean Café, where we had arranged to meet, at precisely 11.00am.

I spent a few hours in the mall before they arrived.  No wonder large shopping malls feature largely in various Kafka-esque dreams of mine… I couldn’t follow the information guide at all, for a start.  I could see where they doctor’s clinic was supposed to be – L2, H11, but when I got there, all was in darkness – nothing much opens in Singapore until after 10.00.  (Except, thank God, the Coffee Bean Café!)  The Information desk was closed….until 10.00…and one of the security guards told me to go out and catch a train to…not sure where but I am sure this was not the right advice…

I did gaze into shop windows as I trudged along the hallways - so many bright and cheery clothes!
Eventually, after walking the corridors for many miles, I found another clinic, where there was a super efficient doctor, very kindly and patient.  The process was all very speedy: I saw him at 10.30 and at 10.50 was lurking outside the café looking for Ru and Bridget!  As well as doing a very thorough examination, this doctor also did a forensic test, prescribed some painkillers and antibiotics, and sent me on my way.*  He was very puzzled that I had been on a boat for over a year.  But surely the ship’s doctor would have been able to help you?  I had to dig out a photo of 2XS to show that there’s not much room for a ship’s doctor on a 46’ catamaran…


Ru and Bridget went to the Sentosa Aquarium while we went back to 2XS so that Pete could struggle with the depth sounder.  (He is VERY patient…)  The Aquarium was a great success; they were mightily impressed.  Bridget particularly liked – the jellyfish, which were my favourites as well.



They came to One15 marina is a taxi driven by a slightly cranky driver.  Not, we were proud to say, as angry as ours the day before, but still very cross and snappy.  Never mind; they got here, although the driver wouldn’t let them off at the stop where Pete was waiting…he knew BETTER!

Ru and Bridget are off to Vietnam tomorrow.  They are staying a few days at the glorious Sofitel in Ho Chi Minh City, then they have a week or so in Da Nang.  We filled in our hours with them very happily – much chat, much catching up, a swim in the beautiful pool, a bit of wine, a G & T, and dinner along the boardwalk.

The pool has a glass wall - just beautiful.  Great to watch people swimming by but...
maybe they don't want their photos taken and put on the internet...
So nice to see Tasmanian friends.

Bridget and I took many photos at the W Hotel, where they caught a taxi back to the city.
We were very taken with this colour-changing Waterfeature
We are leaving One15 this morning.  We have to be OUT of the country by 11.30, quick smart.  After we leave the marina, we have to float around just off Sisters Island, where a little motorboat will meet us to stamp our passports.  They did this on the way in and I was fascinated – they reach over from boat to boat with a fishing net to capture the passports… What could possibly go wrong??

Tonight we should be in Nongsa Point marina, just across the border in Indonesia.  Then off up the West Coast of Malaysia, still trying to catch up to the rally which is a month ahead of us. 

All is well!

* No great secret…I have an infection, which very mysteriously comes (painfully!!) and goes (whew!!)  And now it is going to GO FOR GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment