Tuesday 21 August 2012

Wednesday 22nd August

Last week I bought some possum wool gloves for Birthdaygirl Fleur in Salamanca Place.  I chose what I thought was a very fetching mossy green colour, and was complimented on my choice by the young sales assistant.  “Oh lovely!” she said.  “That colour is so fashion forward!”  I told Fleur, who was thrilled to be fashion forward at 80-something…

So this week when I was preparing for a hearing I complimented one of the union officials on her jacket, exactly the same mossy green colour.  She too was thrilled to be fashion forward, at 30-somthing, and we had a bit of a discussion about new trendy words which come and go.  Her husband is a builder and she says the absolute buzz word at the moment is bespoke.  He loves it when customers tell him what their plans are for the house he is building for them.  “And this room is where we will put our bespoke dining table.”  His eyes light up – ka ching ka ching!  This immediately means serious money is going to be spent, and some of it might come his way!

5 comments:

  1. Yes I love bespoke too, I think Grand Designs may be responsible for bringing it to our mainstream vocabulary. When I first heard it I thought it was a particular style like gothic and had decided that I didn't like it, too dark and heavy. Now that I understand the concept I realise that I live in a bespoke house with a very bespokery inclined husband an most of my bits and bobs are items of bespokification of the home made, not so ka ching ka ching variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a world-wide trend ... apparently the first Lady of Syria, Asma al-Assad wrote in one of her more incriminating emails, about acquiring more 'bespoke' items (her words) of the ka-ching ka-ching variety ...while Syria was turning to blood all around her. (I wonder if she watches Grand Designs??)

    We have a bespoke dining-table too ... probably the only item of furniture that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so fascinated to have a daughter with a house full of bespokeries!

    Am very impressed with your table, Enid! Do you actually refer to it as bespoken??

    As for Syria...too unbearably sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to segue from our bespoken homes to my favourite catch word and that is indeed segue. It's actually a very satisfying word and one I must admit I've never managed to actually say in a real out loud sentence. I'm working on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, good one Nicky!
    I love segue! I think you should build it into your daily conversations!

    ReplyDelete