Sunday 5 August 2012

Monday 6th August
I do know that many people– some of them my closest friends – are totally repelled by anything Olympic but…
I am getting a great deal of joy from some aspects of these recent Games.  And some grief from others – no I do not want to see anyone boxing, and I want to see women boxing even less than men!  And I prefer not to see anyone sobbing, injured, or falling off a bike.  (Or, if it comes to that, playing tennis.  Tennis is a high profile sport, readily available all through the year.  Get out of the Olympics, tennis players!)
Yesterday morning Pete and I bonded over a recently discovered love of – Daley Thompson!  Greatest athlete of all time, we enthused to each other, very happily.  And then last night there he was – what a treat!  In a very interesting interview, alongside Linford Christie and Michael Johnson, you couldn’t hope to find a more amiable trio of chaps. 
They were asked, of course, whether or not they thought there were more drug cheats nowadays than in the past.  Michael Johnson, I think it was, replied that no; basically most people in sports are honest and hardworking and not prone to cheating.  Just like the general population – some people are criminally minded, or dishonest, but…the vast majority of humans are decent and law-abiding.  A very heartening view of the world, and of sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment