Saturday 4 August 2012

Sunday 5th August
We are still in the middle of Olympic Frenzy.  I feel quite exhausted – have vicariously dived, trampolined up up UP into the air, pole vaulted – also up up UP, long-jumped, rowed, sculled, run, swum…not to mention the odd bout of boxing and weirdo wrestling, and the odd exhilarating show jumping ride.  And I think the women’s triathlon knocked the last bit of stuffing out of me…By the time I have run two marathons (women’s and men’s) at the end of the games I will be a limp rag…
Katy’s first memories of Olympic and Commonwealth Games were of joy and wonder.  Fabulous for the athletes to compete, and glorious if they got bronze, silver, or gold.  For her children there is a different focus.  It is, of course, their first Olympics – they are 0, 2, 4 and 6.  On their very first day of watching they saw one of our poor sad swimmers in floods of tears because she “only” got a silver medal.   “I am so sorry!  I have let my parents down.  I have let down the whole of Australia!” she sobbed into the microphone.  A bit later Leo was watching another swimmer gazing proudly at her bronze medal and gushing, “I am SO happy!  So proud!”  He turned to me and said, “Why is she so pleased with herself?  She only came third!  She only got a brown medal – what’s so good about that?”
Too sad!  We should in fact be celebrating any participation, any achievement where the athletes have put in their very best effort.  As my Michael used to say when he was a little tacker, off to run, jump, egg-and-spoon, at his sports carnivals, “Mum, it is important to conticipate!”  It is indeed…

1 comment:

  1. I know! I don't think it helps when commentators say "what went wrong?" ... when you just came FOURTH IN THE WHOLE WORLD, but then again, it's probably not the commentator's fault (if the team is looking devastated, and the commentator starts saying "well done!, great job!," it's not like she will continue to have her job ...)

    ReplyDelete