Saturday 19 May 2012

Saturday 19th May

It is the weekend so…I will write a work story.

Why not?

Last week I went over to my former work place, the Commonwealth Law Courts, to do some work for the President of the Commission.  All very intimidating.  The hearing went on and on and, well….on. 

No lunchbreak, just one very brief toilet break…

At the beginning of proceedings I always make a point of reminding people to turn off their phones.  So embarrassing for them, so annoying for the Commissioners, if phones start singing and mooing and baaing in the midst of formal submissions.

I had my own phone with me, on silent, so that I could get messages from Allan back at 144 Macquarie Street.  At about 1.40 I idly picked my phone up and just fiddled with it, just a bit.  And suddenly, raucously, it burst into life.  The Rolling Stones, This Could Be the Last Time.  The whole courtroom woke up with a jolt.  I leapt to my feet, apologising profusely and ran out the door to turn the damn thing off.  I have no idea why it did this; it was on SILENT and should have been SILENT!!!
(And no I did not get the sack; I didn’t even get a teensy bit into trouble…everything continued as if the Rolling Stones had never interrupted us.)

No comments:

Post a Comment