Sunday 16 July 2017

16th July 2017 - London - canal boat

Sunday 17th July 2017

Bradbury on Avon (canal)
Aboard Artic Fox

I am still wildly enthusiastic about the England I have experienced thus far.  (Not so wildly enthusiastic about my own participation…I am OK but still not 100% healthy.  Coughing and aching and longing for bed at 7pm if not earlier…I found a building in London which gave me a motto for my days:


Yes I know; it is probably an ad for Courage beer but never mind; it is big and solid and gave me something to strive for!)

Our London days at Lindsay and Emma’s were delightful.  (Except for the day I spent entirely asleep in bed, clutching a big metal bowl…I draw a veil!)  They love their baby Orla so very much…she is a glorious baby and it totally doted upon.  This brings joy to our hearts!


On our days out and about we spent many hours in the tube, getting a teensy bit bewildered at times.  We also walked many many miles. 

We saw the lions at Trafalgar Place although they were shrouded in impenetrable fencing.  (Why??)  I love these lions!

Hard to see these fabulous lions!
We saw the horse guard in The Strand and I was very amused to watch the crowd gathering around the poor horses.  There was a big sign saying the horses might bite and kick but people still get up much too close and in much too annoying a manner.



We tried to go to the Shard for coffee…apparently the view for the top is fabulous.  But…it costs 31 pounds to go to the top with no promise of coffee at the top.  And they wouldn’t let us in the door of the restaurant floors…there is a dress code…


The Shard
So we walked along the river to the Borough Markets, which were great.  Fabulous food!

Bread!



Cheese!




Charcuterie!




And no sign of the horror which occurred there not many weeks ago…

We also went to the Aldwych Theatre to see Beautiful (the Carole King story.)  This was just wonderful, inspirational, and beautiful!  And I didn’t fall asleep, as I had feared…

We found a living statue near Covent Garden…I always find living statues more than a bit creepy.  This one was very clever indeed but yes – creepy!



We are now on the canal system, on a darling boat called Arctic Fox, seen here just slightly festooned with my washing…(have lost the photo...never mind!!)

Judith has left us, and we miss her!


Judith way down the back of the 62" boat
She and I have become wizards at opening and shutting locks, letting water in and out.  We have developed enormous muscles!!  (No photos of us, bottoms up, heaving, winching, pushing!!)


Captain Pete
The canal system is just wonderful.  Beautiful, peaceful, green.  (Still mightily impressed…)

We have seen herons (no photo…) ducklings



a swan




a coot




and – most magical of all – a darling fluffy water rat!!  I was too thrilled and enchanted to get my camera up and running but I can say for sure it was adorable, all fluffy and speedy with a dear little straight tail working full-time as a rudder.  Totally Wind in the Willows!!!

Tomorrow we should get to Bath – all is well!!


Oh and I forgot to say…on our drive from Windsor to Devizes to pick up our boat from Foxhangers Marina we passed – Stonehenge!!


2 comments:

  1. Pete looks slightly envious of the living statue's beer! AM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me there was a stool hiding somewhere? How did he do that? I did laugh at the dress code comment closely followed by a picture of Pete in his very mis-sharpen hat and a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete