Tuesday 1 March 2016

2nd March - leaplings - Hail Caesar - party time

Wednesday 2nd March 2016

Rose had her first birthday on 29th February…she is now four years old!  A local journalist tracked down the only two babies born on that day in 2012 – Ava Hicks and Rose Thomas.  They clearly share great joie de vivre!


What do you do the night before you are expecting 150 guests to a party?  Well…maybe you go to the movies… I had a double Gold Class ticket burning a hole in my pocket so we took time off from preparations and went to see…Hail, Caesar…And did we like it?  Not at all…once again we were the grouchiest movie goers in the cinema.  Pete took the opportunity to stretch out in the comfy squishy recliner seat and have a snooze.  I concentrated on enjoying a bright blue cocktail and a very delicious plate of fish and chips.  But the movie???  Meh…The Coen Brothers don’t always do it for us.

As for the party?  Well we enjoyed it very much.  We had a fabulous band – Donna and Bruce, aka the Silver Thorns.  They hadn’t played at a gig for a very long time and they took their task very seriously.  They played from 2 until 6, with breaks, but they must have been EXHAUSTED.  Exhausted but happy because they were very well received and there was MUCH dancing.

At the "audition" in their studio last year
Food was great – a spit roast, prepared and cooked by dear John Bignell, who arrived at 5am.  Pete was up at four to light the fires…But we also had a woodfired pizza van, owned and run by Marcus Schultz.  He is a new arrival in Tasmania, from Bavaria, and his Flammekuchen are a taste sensation!  I was very anxious that he wouldn’t show up (yes why not worry about every single thing???) but indeed there he was, with an offsider, faithfully pumping out his delicious sourdough/crème fraiche creations. 


So what went wrong?  Well nothing much really. 

Two people fell down, but I don’t think they were badly injured. 

One very old friend turned up, looked around at the crowd very accusingly, and said, “I don’t know anyone here!”  Well no, she didn’t…I introduced her to a group of very nice NEW people and next thing – she had vanished!  People are strange…

The worst thing that happened (because it is all about ME!!!) is that…my PRECIOUS got smashed!  Yes, my beloved gold iPhone…Some of the children* had taken it to play music through the Bose speaker.  I didn’t realise; I don’t let anyone touch my phone… But touch it they did, and then they balanced the heavy little speaker on top of the very thin TV above my delicate gold PRECIOUS and…smashety smash.  I was, as they say, totes devo…but the very next day they little wizards at Essentially Mobile replaced the screen and all is well, for only $249.  It could have been SO MUCH worse!!  Replacing the phone would have been…*cough* - $1200…

I didn’t actually take any photos – strangely, I was very busy…but I hope there are some, to be published at some later stage.

Quite a lot of leftover alcohol!

* By “children” I mean offspring…aged between 34 and 46…

1 comment: