Saturday 19 September 2015

Saturday 19th September - Hue - DMZ - Ho Chi Minh Trail - Khe Sanh

Friday 18th September 2015


DMZ between N and S Vietnam
War is ghastly; war is hell.

Yes…I know.



And today reinforced this grim reality.  We left our Gold Hotel at 7am and returned at 6pm, having gone 400 kilometres (in a very comfy little van; I am not whingeing!!)

Our guide, Huy, was a very articulate, erudite young bloke, full of information about the Vietnam War (as we know it) or the American War (as the Vietnamese know it.)



We crossed the Ho Chi Minh Trail




where there is now a big modern bridge, once a life-line for the Vietcong, with many branches reaching from North to South Vietnam.

We visited museums

(Well…some of us visited museums…



The Khe Sanh museum is right behind me...


I fell back and sat under a shady tree

with a very delicious cup of local coffee…)



War museums are very interesting and necessary but…I have enough nightmare material already in my head…

Khe Sanh is…so very beautiful.  Hard to believe it was the site of such vicious strife…



I thought the view from the back window of the museum was very telling…

And don’t these women work HARD???



Pete likes a bit of solid war memorabilia…



Our last stop was a trip through the tunnels…



Interesting, but not fun.  Especially not for the claustrophobic!  Some of the men lived underground for many years.  A lot of them went deaf, from the noise of the bombardment.  During the Tet Offensive the bombs dropped twenty four hours a day…And nobody yet has ever defeated the Vietnamese!





We leave Hue tomorrow at 5pm, back to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I've been to the Cu Chi tunnels - the booby traps were what upset me the most. At the war museum in Ho Chi Min City I couldn't go into some of the rooms (photos of agent orange devastation + aftermath) , but there still a lot of haunting photos to see! War is indeed terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marguerite, on behalf of all your followers I think I can safely say that we all wish you a very happy birthday. Thanks for sharing your adventures through your blog and I hope there are many more adventures to come! Cheers dear, AM x

    ReplyDelete