Wednesday 26 August 2015

26th April - Ternate - Indonesia

Wendesday 26th August

Our sightseeing on Pulau Ternate was a bit hit and miss but, once again, we did enjoy our day.


To start with - a sturdy safe jetty, always a plus!

We were following our Lonely Plane guide and it let us down just a bit…Firstly we walked the streets looking for the tourism office so we could work out the best way to do a trip around the island in a car or shared van or whatever.  This way…that way…asking for advice and directions, going this way…that way…and never actually finding any such thing as a tourism office.



Never mind; I found various items of interest to photograph.  Firstly, a big hole in the footpath, beneath which gushed, quite deep down, a swift-flowing stream of stinky grey water.  I asked Pete to pose elegantly around the edge and this inspired a young chap to cross the road very energetically – he wanted to be photographed with Pete, right now, thank you very much!  No laughing matter!


Faro and Pete, BFFs
I very much enjoyed walking the streets and idly contemplating what I might buy with my rupiyahs.  I could get dentures!




Or I could buy some lovely items of kiddystuff at Silent Furniture.



In the fruit market I could buy durians, glowing and stinking away in the sunlight.




We stopped at a shopping mall and asked if anyone knew where the tourism office was.  Absolutely no idea, was the general consensus.  But the young women in the foyer followed me around looking longingly at my bag.  Finally I understood – they wanted to be photographed!  When I got out my camera they shrieked with joy and applauded loudly – at last I had the right idea!



We gave up on trying to find the office and went to look at Fort Oranje.  I was only mildly interested in this; it is mostly in ruins and is being very energetically reconstructed.  But I did like being able to look at the volcano from the ramparts.




Lonely Planet had highly recommended a restaurant around the coast, at Florides.  We went there in a bemo, with great expectations.  We were going to sit on the terrace on a clifftop, exclaiming at the sight of the volcanic islands below us.



Well…most of them were wreathed in cloud…



And the restaurant, which promised “superb” seafood…was under deconstruction.

So we went back to town in another handy bemo.  (Good thing these noisy little vans are so cheap…only about $1 each per trip.)

No problem re food –we could go back to our popeda shack for another little feast of fish and vegetables and another bowl of spicy soup with a big lump of gluey sago in it.  Delicious!  We shared a table with a very nice young local woman, Eda, who teaches literature at one of the local universities (there are three on this island!)  She invited us to come with her on a sightseeing trip tomorrow, with some of her students who would, she said, enjoy practising their English.  This would have been good, but…we are leaving.

Before going home to 2XS we thought we should go and look at another fort.  Into another bemo – doof doof music blasting forth – and off we went.  Our driver was extraordinary – I don’t think he looked at the road at all.  He sent texts, chatted on his phone, swiveled around to do some hand-waving dances for Pete, who was taking video film.



He also instructed me to take a photo of the schoolgirl in the back of the van.  She beamed most obligingly and looks very fetching in her photo, I think.


We were very glad to get out when we reached Bentong Tolucco. 


All very pretty…but just outside the gate there was a small wire cage with a poor pathetic creature chained inside.  I couldn’t bear to look and asked Pete if he could unlock the door and let it out.  Alas…the door was securely padlocked. 

I was much happier to walk past the mall and take photos of the very strange big fiberglass elephants standing guard.



Tomorrow we will leave for the northern tip of Sulawesi.  Another overnighter coming up; I can do it!!  It is actually time for us to leave Kota Ternate, much as we like it.  We are being bitten to death by small invisible creatures, and there are mosquitoes, to add insult to injury.

Today's birthdaygirl - Ann-Marie Nuttall


No comments:

Post a Comment