Tuesday 18 August 2015

19th August - Denpasar to Doom (Papua) - back on board 2XS

Wednesday 19th August 2015

Back on 2XS, about to move from Pulau Doom.  Very nice to be back on board.  The trip back seemed endless.  Not ghastly, but very long – twenty six hours from go to whoa, with many changes from vehicle to vehicle, many queues, many forms to fill in. 

In Makassar I had a six hour wait in the airport.  Not appealing… Fortunately John Miedecke had travelled this way before me, and he had very good advice - go to the airport hotel!  All airport should have such a facility.  The “hotel” was a narrow corridor with about twelve rooms, just off the main gate lounge.  I took a room for $30 “mini-stay” and was thus able to be horizontal for my six hour wait.


The room was fine – a small but clean and comfy bed, a shower, a washbasin.  And best of all - a kettle, a cup, a teabag!!  No toilet but never mind, there was a communal one a few doors away.  The shower gushed lovely hot wter but…it aimed directly out onto the room as soon a the door was open. And there is no way of getting into shower, strange to say, without actually opening the door…

So at 2.30 I popped out of my little rabbit hole and went straight onto the plane.  And at 3am a meal appeared before me…hmmm…



On the Doom Island ferry there were girls in national costume – yesterday was Indonesia’s Independence Day.  This took my mind of the fact that the narrow little ferryboat was tossing around most frantically in the waves…



I had bought chocolate for the naughty Doom children, who soon arrive din a big shrieking horde.  They were each allowed one piece of chocolate-coated honeycomb – no such thing here in Papua – and they were very polite and restrained and said thank you instead of falling upon my offering like wild hyenas.


I was very happy to see them

These darling little girls are always left behind on shore
and will be very sad to leave them all behind.


As a farewell present I gave them each an old National Graphic magazine – thank you Chris Wilson!  They were thrilled to bits, bless their innocent little hearts.



With Janus (SO very happy with his very own mini Lonely Planet English-Bahasa phrasebook) conducting, they sang us two songs, rousing happy-clappy items, with much Hallelujah and much laughter.  

I have no idea if this will work...
I couldn’t have wished for a nicer gift, really.


2 comments:

  1. So glad your journey was okay. Wonderful to see the happy children with their honeycomb and magazines! Missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I am sad you are leaving those lovely children too! Please note...all of my comments are being entered on my lovely new laptop! I am still inept at many things but I WILL get to know this blighter inside out! x

    ReplyDelete