Friday 1 November 2013

2nd November - language issues - DVDs


Saturday 2nd November

At one of our recent family gatherings, there were various social interactions, of course, between the younger generation, most of whom are under ten.

Xavier* was later debriefing with his grandmother, Miranda*.

“So did you enjoy being with your cousins, darling?”

Deep sigh.  “Yes, mostly.”  (Xavier is a kindly, gentle boy, very much admired by the younger ones.)  “But the little girls sometimes annoy me, just a bit.  And one of them kept climbing all over me and wanting to pat my hair.  I hope you don’t mind, but in the end, I said, GO AWAY, JOSIE*!!”

“That’s OK, I do understand.  What did she do?”

Xavier looked deeply mortified. 

“Well, she told me to fuck off you…  I couldn’t possibly tell you what she called me.  It is SO rude.  Actually I don’t think you would have even heard this word, it is so awful.”

Miranda drew a deep breath, prepared for The Worst Word, and said, “Well maybe you could spell it, if you don’t want to say it.”

Xavier, still deeply troubled, said.  “OK…It was B-I-T-C-H…”

So very funny... Fuck off was apparently quite OK for general conversation but bitch was too dreadful a word to be shared with his grandmother.



A parcel arrived for our family recently… Two big boxes – gollyandgosh, whatever could they contain?? 

Katy and Jeff opened the box after the children were asleep to find solid layers of children’s movies… In the box was a note from their favourite uncle, saying, “I hope the children enjoy these movies.  But watch out, some of them might be in Japanese…”

This particular favourite uncle is getting leaner and meaner by the day.  Well not mean, in fact, quite the opposite.  He has been sending, from afar, parcels of fabulous gifts.  Little tribal dresses, all mirrors and ribbons, for the little girls.  Go-Pro action sports cameras for each family.  Persian rugs and kaftans for The Girls. 

Michael and me, Townsville marina - typical pose (April)
When we were with Michael in Townsville earlier this year, he was quite a hefty lad.  Strong and quite fit, but the ground shook a bit beneath his feet.  Where he is now, he is on an enforced detox.  No alcohol, no junk food, lots of opportunities for strenuous exercise.  I think he is very pleased with himself, as well he might be.


Michael preparing for a fun run, recently
* Names changed to save possible embarrassment…


No comments:

Post a Comment