Thursday 31 October 2013

1st November - catch-ups - twins - thieves


Friday 1st November

We are still somewhat frantically trying to fit in as many catch-ups with family and friends as possible…

And yes, I think when we leave, after a month at home, we will feel disappointed that we didn’t see everyone, or that we didn’t see anyone for as long as we would have liked.  I feel as if I need to bend the space/time continuum!!  And…as Cedric, one of Claire’s fellow students in the Welfare Studies course she did many years ago always said, in lugubrious tones…I just can’t… (Cedric went on to do yet another course, this time at Art School.  He was in his fifties, a perpetual student, and I happen to know that his luckless teachers also heard to the doleful refrain of I just can’t whenever Cedric was called upon to do…well to do anything at all, really.  Paint, draw, carve wood into attractive shapes!  I just can’t…)



Lots of good news stories.  Two lots of twins due!  One set due on New Years Eve, to Dara and Danny.  Another lot due some time in April to Gabi and Jonno.  The next generation is coming on strong!  Not quite the same population explosion as in Indonesia…I think I have said that on Sumba the average number of children per family is…TEN!!



A local story which amused me… One of our friends had a new dishwasher installed, and carefully put the old one outside on the front lawn, with a sign kindly offering it to whoever might want to cart it away.  It was still operational; they had only replaced it because they wanted a trendy stainless steel look instead of that old thing - white.  As you do.  It sat there, forlorn and unwanted, until… Brilliant idea.  They took away the GIVE AWAY TO A GOOD HOME sign and put one up saying FOR SALE.  $50.  And…the dishwasher was stolen from their lawn that very night.

No comments:

Post a Comment