Tuesday 29 October 2013

30th October - Flores ferrytale


Wednesday 30th October

No not a ferry but a water taxi...but the approximate region is correct
Pete and I had a lovely visit with our friend Heather while he was laid up on his side, being postured for his eye.  Heather and Tony are great travellers, very intrepid, and I have been saving this email, which she sent me when we were near Flores:

We have very happy memories of sailing from island to island in Indonesia some years ago now (we got as far as Flores/Komodo going east) – albeit not in a lovely boat like 2xs but in a decrepit fishing boat on a cheapo backpackers trip.

I am sure I told you at the time the tale of the young woman who was leaning on the upper deck rail one late afternoon when the railing gave way and she fell metres into the water – and then her young boyfriend made matters ten times worse when he heroically jumped in after her!  Though the boat turned around immediately it took ages to turn and they were little dots swimming towards us by then, and it was getting dark... thank goodness for the wonderful warm (and fortunately shark-free!) waters.  We did pick them up and they were none the worse for wear though very tired and shaken. 

She later said to Tony and me that she thought we were “amazing old people” to be roughing it alongside them in that way and that her parents would never do a thing like that – it made us feel so ancient and we were still in our forties/very early fifties then I think!

Heather and Tony


(Yesterday in the car Rose (1½) called me Opa.  That’s not very kind, Rose, said Zoe (3½)

I turned and said, Well I’m not a man, am I Zoe

No, she said, smiling lovingly.  You are a kind of old woman.)





No comments:

Post a Comment