Saturday 9 November 2013

9th November - Danga Bay Marina (Johor Baru Malaysia)


Saturday 9th November

2Xs And Friends - NB the water is...khaki...

Yes – back on 2XS!  I don’t know if you can see how very clean and shiny the boat is.  We are VERY relieved and happy.  Our Sharon has very obviously been on board every day, opening doors, hatches, cupboards and flapping the air through.  So my fears of arriving to flowers of mould on every soft surface came to nothing.  I am very glad I didn’t share the anticipated horror with poor busy CaptainPete!

Air Malaysia – so much better than Air Asia!  Comfy seats, blankies, pillows. Delicious food, free apple juice brought to us regularly by gently gliding cabin staff.  And movies!  We watched Blue Jasmine (Our Cate must surely win an Oscar for her brilliant performance but oh dear what a dismal story…) and A Good Year – maybe it wasn’t called this but…never mind - Our Russell and Our Abbie were a delight in a much more cheery lightweight story set in Provence.  

Pete tried to nap after this but I went on to watch three episodes of Modern Family and two and half of The Middle.  And then it was time to land in KL!  Air Asia, on our way to Tasmania, by contrast, provided no such luxuries or comforts.  I do love having my own little TV screen, even though it is just that bit too close for my eye comfort and today I have a steamy throbbing headache…maybe not a good idea to stare at a tiny screen for nearly eight hours…

We met up with Sharon this morning.  He was very apologetic that he hadn’t been on the boat, as promised, for an hour every day, although he had done his best.  Pete had paid one third of his proposed fee upfront, and Sharon said they could call it quits. He was delighted beyond words when Pete gave him an extra 100 ringgit… (approx. $30…)

Pete and Sharon - possibly the last photo ever of Pete's Tilley hat, Missing In Action this  morning

The marina has been fetchingly decorated with bright pink and blue trees.  At night neon abounds; in the daylight the pink and blue trees are as bright and startling as can be.




I am so tired I can barely speak, let alone type… So I was not at all pleased when there was a knock on the hull this morning and a cheery HELLO.  But then – yes I was happy!  It was Mercedes, our German friend, from Forty Two.  We tried on the new Rally caps and smiled for the camera.  Karsten and Mercedes aren’t coming on the rally.  They are going to Langkawi to get major work done on the boat… Oh dear it is ever thus, with boats.


Our first bags of Rally Loot
I am not sure if Computer will say YES or NO to this blogpost…here’s hoping!

1 comment:

  1. Such a relief about the mould! The photos didn't show up at all until I pressed 'comment'. Missing you terribly. It was cruel to leave your dressing gown in our wash basket! Zoe saw it hanging on the line this morning and said suspiciously: "That looks like Bardy's gownie". I told her it was and she said "I have already told her TWICE not to leave her gownie behind!" followed by an exasperated sigh! xoxo

    ReplyDelete