Sunday 10 November 2013

11th November - Johor Province - Danga Bay -Malaysia


Monday 11th November

Well yesterday we went PAST Lego World Malaysia and it looks sensational and HUGE!  Pete and I so want to go there but…will there be time??  So much to do, so many people to see places to go aaaghh aaaghh…

I am still just a bit shell-shocked, jet-lagged, exhausted.  We went on our tour today, organised by Sail Malaysia, and it was actually reasonably relaxing.  First stop was this very imposing building – only five years old, seat of government for Johor Province.  Elizabeth, from SV Labarque, said she had been there on a weekday and that the parliament buildings are very impressive and very like the Australian rooms at Parliament House.  Only grander.  (Of course…this is Asia after all!!)



I was immensely impressed with the staircase, and the water feature. 



And I so wanted to talk to somebody about my darling Hamish, now 13 but once a tiny toddler.  Possibly nobody wanted to listen to my cute story but…I have here a captive audience!  When Hamish was first learning to talk, his kindly Aunty Claire introduced him to the concept of water features.  We would be at a park, or a museum, and he would say, What’s that?  Claire would beam and say, Hamish, it’s a water feature!  So his very first words were along the lines of yes, no, mummy, daddy, woofwoof, and…water feature…People would look at us slightly strangely – how precocious was our boy!

Our bus was large, long and VERY chilly.  I clambered aboard, widened my eyes, and started whingeing.  OH NO!  I don’t have a warm garment!  I asked the bus driver if I had tome to go and get a sarong and a thermal garment and he sighed deeply.  BE QUICK!  So I ran like the wind down the slippery walkways to 2XS, in danger of falling over and plunging into the filthystinky water.  And got back to the bus to sit and wait…for another half hour…Never mind; it was, as I said, a very relaxing day.  And I was warm, with a thick linen shirt and a thick sarong over my legs.  People up the back of the bus were very envious and wished that they too had made a dash for extra clothing.

Next stop was PineappleWorld, (maybe it had another name…) a quaint museum dedicated to…the pineapple.

So many different variations on a theme!

 We wandered around looking at displays and absorbing a bit of information, and very much enjoying cups of freshly squeezed juice.

Another long, leisurely drive through the countryside of Johor Province, to…the southernmost point of mainland Asia!  Wee hee!!



I have almost completely lost my social skills.  (Temporarily, I hope…)  I lost Pete in the throng – I was off on a little platform trying to get a photo of naughty monkeys rampaging through the trees being VERY photogenic until the minute they espied a camera lens.  So I walked the two kilometres of boardwalk on my own, very happily, avoiding conversation, stopping every now and then:



I do love smelly steamy mangroves.  Although I heard John (SV Delphian) saying to Cecily, This mangrove swamp is a plastic bottle nursery.  Yes it was a bit of a tip…but it is protected, and not being turned into a high rise suburb, or a palm oil plantation.

Back near the buses I found a darling water monitor frolicking in the khaki river:



And Pete.  So all was well.  NO he wasn’t frolicking in the river but he did need a nap:

The bus seats were so comfy...
Were there dancing girls? I hear you cry.  Yes of course!



The first lot entertained us at lunchtime; the second lot at dinner, about an hour and a half later… No I couldn’t eat at this stage, although our friends all managed to tuck away a good meal.  (I came back to the boat and ate biscuits and cheese.)

Marian and our hostess
I just sipped on weak black tea (SO SWEET; not sure why but the urn was full of sugar and it was unavoidable.  A bit of a shock but better than no tea at all, which was the alternative.)  I talked to Kevin and Ros (SV Santana I) who were laughing.  Ros had made herself a cup of coffee, from the urn, and had wanted to add a bit of cold water.  Oh yummo; what was in the urn was…orange juice!  I said, Not too bad, you have made a jaffa drink!  I went back to our table, and Marian said, We have extra tea, in this china tea pot!  Do you want some?  Well yes…so she poured from the teapot and out came a stream of sweet milky nescafe, over the top of my weak black tea…



More dancing!

And more…with audience participation…  Normally I enjoy a bit of dancing, and am a big joiner of any activity but…I am still SO tired I wilted somewhat when this lovely girl asked me to come up and wave my arms around in a vaguely Malaysian manner…..



But I did my best, twirling and swaying upon request.  When I got back to my seat Pete said, That was just lovely.  And I am SO glad it was you, not me.  I think he is just as tired as I am.

Today can we go to Lego World?  Maybe…if we nick out of the technical briefing, which is supposed to run from 11.00 till 3pm....

No comments:

Post a Comment