Saturday 9 May 2015

9th - 10th May - weird lumps under the carpet - Babak market - fuel for 2XS - Mothers Day

Saturday 9th May 2015

Today, said Pete, would be a day of leisure.

Well…it wasn’t…I washed down some more surfaces with antimould and then I went to help Pete with the latest 2XS Mystery.  For a while we have been noticing marble-sized hard lumps under the carpet – in the galley, and also in the main living area.


So today, because we are stationary, in a marina pen, it was probably a good time to lift the kitchen carpet and have a look.  I was all in favour of pretending there were NO marble-shaped lumps but Pete was right – these possible nastinesses must be faced!!  (He is very brave…)  He spent a very long time scraping the lumps and exclaiming over the weirdness of it all.  It isn’t actually very good; it is as if the floor has a disease – cancer, or measles.   But I am sure Pete (McGuiver) will find a solution!


I in the meantime took the carpet out on deck and scraped away at the encrustations, and then scrubbed both sides with lots of soapy water and a hard brush.

The carpet is drying over the rails and Pete is scratching his head over what has caused the problem.

We needed to go into the main little town on Samal Island, Babak, to get some fresh food.  We had put our names down for the 1.30 shuttle van but when we got there at 1.15, to be sure of not missing the only connection, the van was there but…no driver.  I asked in the office, and was told that yes YES it was going at 1.30.  But at 2pm the driver emerged from his hiding place and said, firmly, “Three o’clock.”

It wasn’t wasted time.  I met the marina cat, Jack, who is much doted upon, and VERY fat. 



Eventually we went to town.  Pete and Dondon, the driver, went to fill jerrycans with fuel.  They told me I had 25 minutes to go to the market  so I scooted around speedily, buying fish, chicken, veggies.  I had a shady place to wait, and to watch the streets cape.



I was not tempted to go to the clothes shop…



And I was quite happy on my little wooden bench in a sort of bus shelter, although there were small bitey creatures getting way too familiar with my legs.


I took a few photos, and then played solitaire on my iPhone until…eventually…Pete and Dondon appeared, smiling cheerily.



I was very happy to get back to the boat, where I peeled potatoes at warp speed and then leapt into the water to go for a beautiful swim along the reef.

Sunday 10th May

This morning we have lugged the jerrycans to the boat (with the help of a heavy little trolley) and they have all been decanted into the fuel tank.  We are now FULL!

I have devoted the rest of the day to a large load of washing – there are machines here, in the clubrooms.  All of our towels, teatowels, bed linen, clothes are going to get a BIG treat – a proper wash, not a scrub in a bucket!  But…the best laid plans…both machines are full of other people’s towels, teatowels, bed linen, clothes…


Sunset from Ocean View marina clubroom - I didn't tamper with this iPhone photo at all - how lurid (but REAL!)
 are the colours??
So today is…

MOTHER’S DAY!!

I want to send much love, electronically, to my wonderful mother, Gina



and my wonderful stepmother, Fleur



both far away in Tasmania

Where it is very very COLD!!  


I found this photo on somebody's FB page…isn't it stunning??


It is also my friend Elsa’s birthday – so, love goes to her too, electronically!


Not a recent photo…but a very nice one!


1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine why the clothes shop didn't draw you in.....x

    ReplyDelete