Thursday 7 May 2015

7th May - another day at Ocean View Marina (Samal Island, Mindanao)

Thursday 7th May 2015


Today has been a day of work and also of very pleasant recreation.  The recreation – a nice long swim along the beautiful reef next to the marina.  Pete came with me – he was sorely in need of recreation, and of cooling down by then – and he exclaimed happily, bubbling faintly through his snorkel, at the beauty and variety below us.  The water varies in temperature to a marked degree.  Sometimes it was so hot it was like swimming in an over-hot bath, but, fortunately, there were blissful cool patches as well.  Why???  No idea…But the coral is thriving and gorgeous.

And why was Pete so very hot and in need of some recreation??  Well…he spent several hours jammed into the window ledge, leaning into the anchor chain locker, pulling and poking at the spare chain in the adjacent locker.  HOT work!!  I was EXTREMELY helpful.  Occasionally I would put down my book and hand him a knife, or a head torch, and every now and then I managed to persuade him to have a sip or two of icy cold Tang.  I am indispensible, really!



I also got busy in the kitchen and made a big potato salad with some of our new ingredients.  The cupboards in the kitchen are reasonably familiar to me.  If we need a tin of tomatoes, or some pasta, or whatever, I can usually lay my hands on it immediately.  Pete…not so much.  So I can’t blame him for ghastly discoveries.  Every now and then I make a ghastly discovery, of something in a plastic container which has gone totally slimy and unidentifiable.  But these are usually small, sneaky items… One of the cupboards contains dry biscuits, herbs and spices, this and that… And a great big glass jar, which I actually see just about every day, and which I carefully move from side to side when I am looking for sardines, or our last sachet of tomato paste, or whatever.  Apparently…I haven’t actually LOOKED at the very big instant coffee jar for many months because…this is what is inside it…

What IS it??  What WAS it??

Something completely mystifying and…yes, ghastly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment