Friday 22 May 2015

22nd May - last day in Tahuna (Sangihe, Indonesia) - boys

Saturday 22nd May 2015

Tahuna is so pretty
Yesterday was much less adventurous. I rather had the stuffing knocked out of me – it is THE HEAT, I declare, not the fact that I am UNFIT!!

Firstly though I have to report a very sad thing.  I am, as they say, totes devo.  (Totally devastated for those who do not speak ValleyGirl.)  My big iPad has gone AWOL.  Yes I know I have lots of devices: a MacBook Air (laptop), an iPhone 5, a mini iPad and my big iPad but…I need and love them all.  They all form part of my support system.  Captain Pete cannot meet all of my needs, wonderful though he may be.


Something is missing…oh Big iPad, where are you??
WHERE is it???  I had it in the afternoon, after I got my internet simcard, because I spent a very happy time co-ordinating things on my Kindle app, onto both iPads, from my computer.  It should be on he table, with its friends, or on the couch.  Just MAYBE I had it in the cockpit in the evening, when I was reading and watching the sunset while the dinner was cooking down below.  So maybe I left it on the seat…this has happened in the past… The only thing I can think of is that someone crept on board at night and took it.  NOT really likely – why would they just take this, and not the very good binoculars only a metre or so away from the iPad??  So at the moment it is just a Mystery of the Sea and I am bereft.  (I love my electronic devices more than most people do…)



While I was doing the washing in the morning, I heard cries of joy from outside.  “Hello!  I love you!”  And there in the water, not far form 2XS, was a gang of cheeky boys, wreathed in smiles.  They climbed aboard (without an actual invitation…) and one of them said, “We are VERY hot!”  I took this as a request and made them each a cold drink of Tang and then off they went, shouting THANK YOU THANK YOU!!



We went shopping at the market in the middle of the day - Mad Dogs and Englishmen, yes I know… I bought two new umbrellas because I left my very best favourite colourful one from Coron in the rental car.  (Not totes devo; I am always losing umbrellas and they only cost about $2.  I am a bit devoted to whichever is the current one but…not the way I am to my electronic devices…)

I also bought…a new plastic rectangular container, to act as washing up basin.  Anyone who has been on 2XS in the past few years will recognise the faithful but by now ghastly blue ice cream bucket which has served in this role for far too long.  I am inordinately happy with the new one and am very happy for the stinky blue one to go to the tip!



Pete got more top-up for his phone in Tahuna.  This took FOREVER.  Fortunately they provided me with a nice little stool to sit on – I am very pathetic, today…



I did manage to take a few photos in the streets.  Looking at them, I think Tahuna looks a bit like…Wynyard (Tasmania)!



There is an inordinate number of churches on the island.  Some mosques, but mostly Christian churches of various flavours.  Very big ones, too!  David said if you want to go to church on Sunday, you will always find a seat!


Last stop was the market.  I had comlpletely lost my powers by then, so I found an unoccupied wooden table against a wall, asked permission to use it, and hoicked myself up for a peaceful wait while Pete went shopping.

“Hello Mister!”


Two cheeky boys soon became six.


I gave them each a 2XS card and they were thrilled to bits.  They also thought it was the funniest thing in the world when I pointed at a nearby cat stealing a bit of lunch



and said MIAOW!  These boys were very easy to amuse… Eventually someone told them I wasn’t a Mister but I was a bit sorry when they changed, more correctly, to Miss. I enjoyed being a Mister!  I am easily amused too.

A man from a nearby stall came up saying, Photo!”  He had the aforementioned cat cradled in his arms and he posed very nicely for the camera, and beamed when he saw the result.


The man who owned the table I was sitting on came up to ask if I was American.  When I said “No, Australian,” he replied, “Aha!  Bali Nine!  No good!” and made a throat-slashing gesture.  “No,” I said sadly, “No good at all…”  (I think we were at cross purposes…)



Off to sea today!!  6 hour shifts...

No comments:

Post a Comment