Monday 25 May 2015

24th-25th May - Pulau Doi - Pulau Morotai - beautiful reef - dead reef x2

Sunday 24th May 2015

2 degrees 17.469N
127 degrees 46.565E
10.9 metres depth
Pulau Doi
Indonesia

Evening view from Doi Island
After an overnight sail, with each of us doing 6 hour shifts, we arrived this morning in a beautiful tranquil anchorage.  (I did midday-6pm, midnight-6am so I saw the sun set, and rise.  Very nice it was, too.)

Pulau Doi
with a lovely reef and many MANY fish.

We had visitors, who sat silently and happily on the deck, drinking iced tea.  I took a few photos and printed them off on my little Selphy and they were wreathed in smiles.  And then we encouraged them, gently, to go home…we were VERY tired…


(Yes I know it was only one over-nighter…Some of our friends are about to embark on a FORTY day/night trip across the ocean.  But I assume that as the days go by one gets used to this rhythm of sleeping and waking in shifts.  One night…I didn’t really sleep at all, was too busy anticipating my wake-up call at midnight!)

Monday 25th May

2 degrees 03.027N
128 degrees 16.424E
Doruba, Pulau Morotai
7.5m

We are now anchored near a little town on Pulau Morotai.  It has a nice sturdy tower and – internet!

2XS is creeping ever closer to the Equator and…it is very very hot…

Dodola Br
We stopped for a while this morning next to a beautiful little island which my Navionics chart calls “Dodola Br” – not quite sure what this means but…it was pretty!  I of curse spent about twenty two seconds deciding whether or not to go for a swim RIGHT NOW.  The water was clear and warm; it was just glorious except…not.  Nearly all of the coral was dead. A barren landscape…a few little colonies of coral here and there, a few game little fish trying to live a cheery life in what remained of what must once have been a most fabulous reef.  Sigh…

2 degrees 05.967N
128 degrees 11.333E
Dodola Br –swim and lunch stop
10m

Doruba

Our present anchorage is very serene and secure.  The water is lovely, clean, clear, turquoise…I went for a beautiful swim and – oh deary me…even deader than Dodola Br.  WHAT has happened here??  Dynamite fishing?  A very savage storm?  A nuclear explosion?  The fish at Pulai Doi should be very grateful indeed that they have such a lovely reef, full of LIVE coral, in which to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment