Monday 8 October 2012

Tuesday 9th October
My birthday present from Pete this year was…a very big bottle of gin and a very small envelope with tickets to the Rockwiz concert at Wrest Point on 6th October.
Wee hee to both!
(I promptly lost the very small envelope, in the move from house to boat to unit to Katy and Jeff’s.  No doubt it will turn up in a very obvious place but in the meantime I had to go through a bit of rigmarole getting new ones issued.  They were very happy to do this, at the ticket office, but I had to take Pete with me because the tickets had been bought in his name.  Which mean that I had to ADMIT that I had lost his generous birthday present…I had hoped that this would have gone under the radar…But no, all was revealed…)
It was particularly generous of Pete because he has, in his words, gone off Rockwiz.  He and I used to share a love of Julia Zemiro but he has suddenly decided that she is too overbearing, or annoying, or whatever.  I, loyally, still love Julia.  In case you don’t know what I am talking about, this is from the Rockwiz website:
RocKwiz is Australia's original live music television show and has been a staple of the SBS Saturday timeslot since 2005. Hosted by Julia Zemiro and Brian Nankervis, each episode takes two mystery guests and four contestants selected from the live audience through four rounds of questions, before the guests perform a show-closing duet with the RocKwiz Orkestra. The show has spawned CDs, DVDs and books, and has toured nationally on the live music festival and theatre circuit.
Pete said he would come with me if he HAD to.  Hmmm.  Attractive prospect, being at a live and noisy performance with someone who is only there because they are kind and forbearing… When I told Claire and Katy about the tickets, Claire’s face lit up and she said, “Oh you lucky thing!  How WONDERFUL!” and I immediately invited her to come with me.  Of course!
I think Pete would actually have enjoyed it very much, but possibly not as much as Claire and I did.  We loved it!  It was a very generous evening’s entertainment, with all of the usual and expected bits of quiz, music, fun.  But there were lots of extras – Vika and Linda Bull plus Joe Camilleri, Jess Cornelius (hadn’t heard of her but she was a very fabulous and beautiful singer), one of the singers from Eskimo Joe (Kavyen Temperley, a strange young man with a very weird bouffed-up hairstyle,) and an appearance by Doc Neeson from the Angels. 
Vika and Linda sang one of my very favourite songs (by Paul Kelly,) Be Careful What You Pray For.  The final duet was sung by Joe Camilleri and Jess Cornelius – a fabulous version of Take Another Little Piece of My Heart – Janis Joplin would have been proud! 
Great night!  (Thank you Pete!)

4 comments:

  1. Lucky you! (No, I didn't want to come, I've only watched Rockwiz once or twice but I did love Julia in Agony Aunts, if you saw that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just be too terrified of being selected from the audience! Can you imagine?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Nicky I am afraid they would NEVER have selected you, charming and lovely though you are... They did have a very fierce elimination round to select the panel and I don't think you would have been able to answer one single question...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm sure you're right unless of course the answer was "The Beatles?"

    ReplyDelete