Friday 19 October 2012


Saturday 20th October

Honesty is overrated…well maybe not overrated but sometimes the correct answer to a question is not the honest one.

Examples

Q.     Do you want to see the 1800 holiday photos I have here on my computer?

A      Yes please!! is the correct but NOT the honest answer.

Q      Would you like me to tell you about the AMAZING dream I had last night?

A      Yes please!! is, once again, the correct but NOT the honest answer.

Unless it is Pete, asking about the dreams…

He does indeed have the most amazing dreams.  Most of the time he wakes very very tired because he has been wrangling sheep all night.  (These dreams always makes me laugh a lot, mainly because Pete’s tone is so plaintive when he tells me about his nocturnal activities.)  Last night, however, it wasn’t just your normal get the sheep from one paddock to another dream.  Last night he was working with a farm hand who, when Pete’s back was turned, disobeyed instructions and carried out his task riding a camel wearing a blue coat. 

In another dream, he was somewhere posh, eating lunch all dressed up in a suit and tie, and trying very hard to be polite about his salad roll which had, firmly ensconced, a large BBQd rat with a long chewy tail.

I suppose what I like about Pete’s dreams is that he recounts them clearly and concisely, and that they are always more logical, if more bizarre, than my confusion psychedelic night-time scenarios.

The first and foremost rules of good communication: clarity, brevity and appropriateness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment