Monday 4 August 2014

5th August - Lahad Datu - Borneo


Tuesday 5th August



We are getting LOTS of protection here in Lahad Datu.  The army, navy, police and coastguard circle our boats constantly, in their speedy armoured boats.  Maritim Malaysia are very kindly letting us leave our dinghies at their jetty.  Yesterday we tied up to their boats and had to clamber over three big tough black rubber boats to get to the rickety pier.  The officers all hang out on the pier, happily cooking their fish head soup, smoking, chatting.  They are very friendly and benign-looking in their civvies and they just love their pet…



This morning we went to the market, to stock up yet again.  I got distracted by all of the activity – women selling cigarettes,



beautiful scallop shells,


delightful children



a nice young chap who wants to be my Facebook friend



So…I forgot to follow Pete and John with an eagle eye and they vanished.  They had gone to the vegetable market but I had no idea where this was, and there seemed to be vegetables everywhere along the street - they could have been in any hot & smelly location in Lahad Datu.  I trotted up and down, getting just slightly overheated and bothered.



People were so very kind and helpful.  Nobody spoke much English but I managed to communicate that I was looking for dua orang (TWO husbands, how profligate of me!)  They all spoke to me in soothing tones, posed for a photo of or two, and then I thought I should just go back to the maritime jetty to wait, in the shade, with the tabby kuching at my feet.




Tomorrow we are leaving this ramshackle little town.  I really like it here; people are so very cheerful and friendly, and it all feels very Frontierland and invigorating.  There are sea eagles, Brahminy kites, white egrets in their dozens all around the busy port area.  We are going to some nearby islands, where we hope to find a blue lagoon with coral, fish, crystal clear water.  But maybe…no internet!


This flower was SO technicolour I just had to stop and take a photo (maybe that is why I get left behind...)

We have just had a catch-up rally lunch, at the Hotel Dari de Leon, grandly named.  We had invited our protectors; they tucked in very happily.

Kenny & Mick
There was lots of chat

Kassim & Pete
and some very strange-tasting biscuits…

Pete, Maureen Myra - Myra sers her biscuit was...fishy!
So…HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARLING CLAIRE COOK, for 7th August.  Just in case I can’t write on the day…Claire is bright, funny, clever and slightly mysterious.  She has also been a trendsetter, ever since she led Margate Primary School Grade Four girls in the fashion for legwarmers.  (Ah, the 80s…)  We all love her to bits and watch her carefully for the latest trend…


1 comment: