Thursday 28 August 2014

28th August - is this a scam on Yahoo?? - Kudat - marina


Thursday 28th August
A dear little house in the backblocks of Kudat
This is the message I am receiving daily from Yahoo.  Nearly identical to the one which got me into so much trouble with my gmail account, when iI, like a foolish bunny, obeyed the request and emailed them my password.  What could possibly go wrong if I do it again???  I feel like sending them a message saying I don’t think so!!   But…best to ignore altogether???
 Dear Subscriber,
Your Yahoo account has been compromised.You must update it immediately or your account will be closed.
Click here to update
Sincerely, 

Yahoo Online Security Team

Our bikes didn’t get very far yesterday… We parked them neatly outside the yacht club and went inside to get some things organised.  And then the skies opened… A great deluge!  We would have been very wet and miserable had we been halfway to town, with no shelter coming or going…



They spent all day out the front of the building, unlocked, unguarded.  In the early evening we tucked them away under the café, with their friends, all attached to a long secure chain.  And this morning – both of our bikes have a big bite taken out of the chain guard – someone obviously decided to have a good old try at stealing them.  (They still work, little Trojans that they are.)



Yesterday I must have spent too much time in the computer room, happily internetting, and plotting anchorages on my iPad navionics… When I came out at one stage, the café manager, Haikal, looked at me with great concern and asked me if I was lonely in there.  Well, no… Maybe I would like a game of darts?  Or jenga?  So kind of him; I hope I managed to persuade him that I was perfectly happy, with Pete off getting fuel and doing things on the boat.

Haikal
We are getting very attached to the new dinghy.  It is now so stable and seaworthy we think it is actually better than a whizzbang new inflatable would be!  Last night Pete even did a bit of Good Samaritan work with it.  We could see a dinghy full of people (5 of them) making its way very slowly to the wharf, with one lone rower doing a valiant job.  Pete darted off and towed them to their destination; they were very grateful, and gave him a can of beer. 



They had been planning on leaving in a day or two but…they have to put their yacht up on the hard stand because – oh no – they crashed into a reef and did some serious damage…We are SO lucky 2XS is so strong and solid, made of tough aluminium!



The good news is – we are now in the marina!  (You can tell which one is XS because of the big yellow stain on the hull…This is a legacy of our time in Terengganu – we still haven’t managed to find a product which will get rid of this disfiguring stain, and are open to suggestions?)  Being in the marina makes it much easier to do everything we need to do - provisioning the boat, getting fuel, filling up with water.  We can stay in our spot until Tuesday, which is good - Tuesday is when we wanted to set off again anyway, heading towards Palawan in the Philippines.


3 comments:

  1. Poor hulls, they were so white and pristine for us. You need boat Enjo! Love the little dinghy with its floaties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva would call them stabilisers. Oh and yes of course that is a scam. Unless they know your details or you have initiated the contact these messages are all scams! Horrible hey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am always SO tempted to do as I am told and give my details to the scammers! Yet - BoatEnjo would be great!

    ReplyDelete