Thursday 27 February 2014

28th February - Panwa Beach (Ao Chalong)


Friday 28th February

Sharp and pointy rocks on Panwa Beach - my nemesis!
Yesterday was very frustrating.  I managed to get money from the ATM, and a phone card for Pete’s phone, but most of the time it was like one of those dreams where everything is just slightly awry… For example, I wanted to go to Cobra Sports Shop*, which I had been told was about 4km down the road.  On every corner of the busy main street of Chalong there was a taxi stand…which looked like this…



Empty of people!  Empty of taxis, tuktuks, motorbikes...

So I started walking.   A young woman pulled up on her little motorbike and offered me a ride (50 baht.)  I explained that I was looking for a shop, not far away, and opposite the Chalong gym.  Ah yes! She said, with a glad cry, and proceeded to ride…up over the hill to Kata Beach!  I patted her on the shoulder and said, NO, I DON’T want to go to Kata Beach, thank you!  She paid no attention at all and ten minutes later deposited me at a massage parlour, saying, Here is shop, ma’am.  Oh goody. 


Panwa Beach with the tide in...looks much more inviting!
I walked around in a big loop, looking for a camera shop where someone could look at, and possibly revive, my little drowned Nokia.  When I found myself repeating the loop, it was time to go… Into a tuktuk, back to Chalong.  I had a fortifying entrée dish of pad Thai and a large glass of watermelon juice, then made my way along to the pier.  I couldn’t face another long hot wait at an empty taxi stand…and I knew that at the Panwa Beach end of the equation I would have to wait for 5.30, for the tide to come in, so that Pete could come to shore in the dinghy.  I did NOT want to face those fearsome rocks again!



Brainwave – hire a longtail!

My gondolier was a kindly man of few words.  I handed him a card with a photo of 2XS, negotiated a price which made him very happy, and off we went.  Oh bliss to be back on 2XS!



No it’s not Rose’s birthday…she only gets a birthday every four years – a paradox, a paradox, a most ingenious paradox



But I will be thinking of her all day on the day before and the day after 29th February.  Rose is two now, and a most excellent, fascinating toddler.  She is a blithe spirit, still totally full of fun and confidence and of her wonderful place in the world and she brings fun, laughter and an element of danger* everywhere she goes.

* In search of an inflatable kayak...mission so far unsuccessful

** danger because – she is intrepid and fearless and has to be watched with eagle eyes!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that wild Rose we do adore her. Sounded like you could have used that massage anyway. Maybe the bike lady was trying to help you find just what you really needed. Why do you have two phones? We have spares if you want us to bring one over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phons all fixed now, thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete