Monday 17 February 2014

18th February - Yacht Haven marina (Phuket) - Pete improving rapidly


Tuesday 18th February

One of the boats nearby at the anchorage
am

Today is a day to give heartfelt thanks to my iPad, and to the Kindle app in particular…

What would I do without it??  2XS would sink under the weight of the number of books I would need to keep me happy… With Pete asleep most of the day – sleep it is a blessed thing, beloved from pole to pole* – I have been able to keep sane and happy by reading for many hours at a time, interposed with dips in the sea, and the odd game of mahjongg.  I am too scared to swim; the water rushes past most fiercely and I don’t want to be washed out under the Surin Bridge…that would be VERY embarrassing.  I just climb down the ladder and hold on for dear life as my legs get swept out into the current.

Through the tarpaulin
My role as Pete’s nurse is not very taxing.  I check on him regularly, to make sure the sun hasn’t crept round to beat down upon his head through the hatch, in spite of the many tarpaulins stretched out across the boat.  And whenever he wakes up, I force him to drink a whole glass of fluid.

And in the meantime, oh the joy of so many books awaiting on my Kindle app!  Jabba recommended a new detective series, by John Burdett, beginning with Bangkok Eight.  So far so good; a great set of characters, a racy story, and wonderful sense of location – Bangkok, obviously, with the odd foray into the Thai countryside!

While on the topic of ebooks…I have finally worked out how to download my Kindle books onto Pete’s mini iPad.  Yes I KNOW this is very simple, but…so far I haven’t had uninterrupted time to do it, slowly and carefully.  He now has ten books ready to go, starting with Crazy Rich Asians, Kevin Kwan, which I thought was terrific, just by the way.  So maybe now I won’t have to scour the shelves in various marinas and 2nd hand bookshops, looking for books which aren’t too dirty… Reading away happily and finding what you only HOPE is somebody’s squashed lunch and not something worse is so very unpleasant…



Very happy I am to be able to report that we are now IN the marina, not lurking on the outskirts.  I really didn’t like being away from dry land, with a sickboy on board… He does seem to be improving, however, so…all is well.

pm

I left him for an hour and had dinner at a little restaurant along the track.  I could see 2Xs, peeking shyly through the trees…


 I had my computer for company but…no need!  Craig and Robyn were there – friends from the Indonesian Rally – and they invited me to join them.  

Robyn and Craig (Gemini II)

And then Jon and Irina arrived, with Jon’s long-awaited daughter Amy and her friend Bec. 

Amy Bec Irina Jon

 Craig told me that last July four yachts were washed up onto the beach at Nai Harn Bay!!  They were quite badly damaged, as one might imagine.  It was all so serene and lovely, when we were there… But July is the time for violent winds, called sumatras, in this region so it is a very good idea to do a bit of research before anchoring…

It all looks gentle and peaceful in February
Breaking news:

Pete is MUCH better.  Tucking into bacon, baked beans, toast as we speak…

* Thanks S T Coleridge, Rhyme (or is it Rime??) of the Ancient Mariner…love this epic poem!

1 comment:

  1. Does this mean you've been sailing the boat alone? Wow!

    ReplyDelete