Tuesday 3 September 2013

3rd September - Labuan Bajo


Tuesday 3rd September

Last night we had a most delicious and convivial dinner on Marieke III.  Tasmanian eye fillet (Angus beef) with a sauce made from chanterelle mushrooms, picked and dried by Ingvar when they were last home in Sweden.  I had never tasted these mushrooms – they are SO fabulous! 

We also had a Greek salad, which reminded me how much I love and miss feta cheese…So imagine my joy when today we found a small cool white shop (cool as in airconditioned and full of fridges) which sold not only wine but also olives (tinned) and feta, as well as a very delicious pecorino.  Oh and bacon – very rare, on this very Muslim island!  Calloo callay o frabjous day!

I also found bottled water which amused me a lot:



I sat on a big lump of concrete while Pete talked to a man in a carparts shops about batteries.  The buildings opposite are very typical of downtown Labuan Bajo:



One shiny and new, one shabby and run down but probably housing a thriving little cottage industry.

1 comment:

  1. Dear M, so amused by Pocari sweat which is a Japanese drink aimed, I guess at athletes. I rather like the taste. But my absolute favorite is Calpis water, which caters for a similar market - those who get too sweaty I suppose. I was constantly awash with sweat in japan, so hot and humid and found imbibing calpis water definitely helped!

    ReplyDelete