Saturday 14 September 2013

15th September - Medana marina - Lombok - cooking class


Sunday 15th September



This morning we did a cooking class.  Very pleasant it was, sitting in a big shady area watching five pleasant women making sambal.  They produced a large amount of fish satay and urap urap (mixed veggies…) and we were all able to eat as much as we wanted at lunchtime.

It was not only a cooking class…



It was also a sex education class…a mortar and pestle can be quite a phallic combination, and the action of grinding up spices can only be done with a very suggestive sway of the hips.  Mothers teach their teenage daughters how to make sambal, and how to wriggle their hips but… NOT TOO MUCH!!



Norman and Sara, from Wales, sailors off lovely little Norsa, enjoyed it very much too.  We had heard them on the radio coming down the coast of Sumbawa; they were very excited, if faintly alarmed, to have caught…half a tuna… I asked them about this, over lunch and found that the tuna had indeed been whole when it took the bait but by the time they had hauled it aboard, something very hungry had eaten half of it.  Oh the horror of fishy life!



In the meantime we had a gang of boys poring fuel into the thirsty tanks of 2XS. 



They required frequent icy drinks, and posed, faintly menacingly, for a photo.  I make three photos on my little Canon Selphy and they were speechless with delight.  Well almost speechless…one of them rushed up to the cabin to ask me to take another one, of just him and me, and to print it out too, thank you very much.



We also had a film crew on board.  They just suddenly materialised on the deck, with a large camera.  I was a bit nonplused; the cabin was in just a bit of a mess… I darted about, getting very hot, and putting things away at high speed.  I do hope I can find these “things” again… Had to search high and low for my mouse, which was coyly hiding in a packet of seasickness medication… They were so lovely, these young TV Personalities.  They had never been on a yacht before and were totally fascinated.  Surely there must be more people on board this ENORMOUS boat than just Pete and me??  Where were our children??  I showed them photos and the girls looked at me, awestruck.  So many children!  So many cucu (grandchildren)!!  And oh how beautiful your hair is!  I wish my hair was like that!  I looked at them a bit sadly; my hair is perfectly OK, for an oldchick.  It needs cutting and is now a strange mixture of colours – brown, blond, white, grey.  And their hair is long, lustrous, shiny and black…



I rest my case!!

Just outside our berth, on the edge of the beach, they are erecting a series of canopies.  Plastic chairs are acquiring cute little coats and blue sashes.  The film crew is getting more excited by the minute… The Bupati (Regent of Northern Lombok) is arriving at 4.00 for a welcoming ceremony for Rally participants.  There will be speeches…maybe dancing girls…certainly food…

I have cut Pete’s hair and have banished him to his bunk for a nap – he is so very tired he will not be able to survive a welcoming ceremony without a bit of a nap… The fuel boys did most of the work – ie lugging the cans and pouring the fuel through filters into the tanks - this morning but they did manage to spill a whole lot of diesel over the deck and into places where diesel should not be, so Pete has been darting about with de-greaser and rags in the hot hot sun…mad dogs and Englishmen

No comments:

Post a Comment