Wednesday 11 September 2013

12th September - Komodo Island to Sumbawa


Thursday 12th September



This is my first sunrise photo…maybe this is indicative of the fact that I am more likely to be awake at sunset than…ahem…sunrise… And how beautiful it is.  Very sad to have left this beautiful place, on the NE coast of Komodo Island.



And our last look at this bare, beautiful landscape, with a strange boat cruising on by.  Most boats in Indonesia are beautiful, whether shabby, wrecked, new and shiny.  This one looks like…a billycart.  Functional but not lovely.

Our sail today was wonderful, along the coast of Komodo, past the islands we thought were going to be our shelter for the night, and then along the coast of Sumbawa.  But first, past this fabulous volcano! 



Sumbawa is a very big island, with mountains, forest, pretty villages.  We were astonished to see that most of the houses have red tiled roofs.  So far houses in Indonesia have had either thatch or corrugated iron, in various shades of silver, rust, or iridescent blue.  But red tiles we did not expect!



It all seems very prosperous and orderly, from our vantage point on the deck of 2XS.  Telkomsel towers stride across the landscape in orderly procession, bringing us – oh joy - phone and internet.  Ah, communication, connection…*

The landscape is quite different from the islands we have visited, or cruised past, thus far:



Our anchorage in a sheltered cove is very lovely.  Deep green water, a tiny dark beach, a fringe of palms.  It was a bit dark for a photo but I am including it nevertheless.  I got straight in for a quick swim around the boat.  Never miss an opportunity, is my motto.  (Except when it’s not… Sometimes I like to let opportunities slip by while I lie on the couch with my book…)  I was relishing the cool emerald water when – oh yuck – a slimy THING twining around my ankle… Slimy, unexpected things are never pleasant, when one is swimming… I gave a startled squawk and then realised it was only a plastic bag, not a Monster Of The Deep.



I will see if I can get this onto the internet now, a day early (again) because I think we are leaving at 4am and my mind is not at its sharpest at that particular time of day…

We are aiming to go quite a long way, to Teluk Poto Punddu, on Sumbawa, or to Medang Island, and to get there before sunset.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring?  


* Telstra please note...Telkomsel in Indonesia provides better coverage and is MUCH cheaper than you are... And I speak as a VERY loyal Telstra customer...

No comments:

Post a Comment