Friday 20 September 2013

20th September - Lovina - Bali


Friday 20th September



(Lovina Beach at dusk)

Last night we had a very late dinner at a beautiful Lovina Beach restaurant.  Under the table was a cat.  And another one, happily waiting for scraps.  I have discovered that it is all very well to learn Bahasa Indonesian but…there are over 600 languages in this big country.  Balinese is just another one of them.  I pointed at the cheery cat and said to the waitress, Kuching?  Well yes kuching is cat in Bahasa…but not in Balinese.  So what IS the word?  She looked a bit embarrassed…It is…meow



Also my most useful expression – tidak apa apa (no worries) isn’t correct here.  In Bali it is sincancan.  I have been finding it a big stretch for my nearly 64 year old brain to absorb just one new language; adding another is a BIG ask!  But I think I can handle meow and sincancan

I have discovered today that maybe I am not pronouncing meow correctly...  AAGGHH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment