Saturday 15 September 2012

Sunday 16th September

When the Wakefields were in the Northern Territory last school holidays, they met a man travelling with his dog.  Nicky told me about him because I had asked her if she knew of any nice available men in the 60-70 age range – I have a particular need of one, to provide company and fun for a very nice friend of ours, who herself is in the 60-70 age range…Please keep your eye out!
 
Why yes, said Nicky, we met a lovely single man called John!  But…he is in the Northern Territory!  John was apparently heartbroken after his wife did a runner.  (I am just a bit suspicious of this; in my experience wives don’t usually just do a runner for frivolous reasons…but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that she was a flighty piece and a bit of a bolter and that he wasn’t annoying or horrid in any way…)  He sank into a deep depression and went on medication for a while.  Fortunately he came across a different sort of GP who briskly told him to go off his medication slowly and carefully.  Then he said, “I am prescribing a dog for you!  And a campervan so you can go travelling!” 
 
What a great doctor!  John got his dog, a lovely golden retriever therapy dog.  Because he is a prescription dog, John is allowed to take him everywhere, in caravan parks, restaurants, hotels.  He makes lots of friends because everyone is attracted to the dog if not to him, in the first instance.  I shouldn’t think John and his dog will be all alone and palely loitering for very long…

1 comment:

  1. ! Wow! I didn't know you could prescribe such a thing but it should be done much more often, I think!

    ReplyDelete