Saturday 10 December 2016

Sunday 11th December - bumpheads

Bumpheads


I was very lucky to find myself swimming with bumpheads several times, in Raja Ampat, and in the Louisiades.  The first time was along a reef off Frewin Island, with John Miedecke.  We were snorkelling along, idly admiring the coral and the small colourful fish, and then suddenly we felt as if we were in the midst of a herd of bison majestically roaming the plain. 

No they aren't pretty...but they are very calm and  companionable

I found an even bigger school when I was swimming alone off one of the smaller more isolated Louisiade islands.  There were at least thirty of them – several families.  They are very big (1-2 metres) and they don’t seem to mind being stalked by humans, so I swam along over and amongst them for many happy minutes.


Because they are so large and stocky they seem more like mammals – bison, or hippos.  Whatever – I enjoyed their company very much.



No comments:

Post a Comment