Friday 9 December 2016

10th December 2016 - canoe to school (PNG) - Tasmanian moments

Saturday 9th December 2016


 Most of the children in the PNG islands go to school by canoe.


Some get a ride in a banana boat.  Or they walk long distances through the jungle, or along rocky coastlines. 


My children caught a slow little school bus which chuntered along the narrow roads in the back blocks of Margate.

Last week I managed to flatten the battery in Pete’s car.  The RACT mechanic came and tested it and told me I had done a very comprehensive job.  (I had left the key in the ignition and the ignition turned on…I was totally distracted, obviously.)    He charged it up with powerful jump leads and said I had to go for a long drive – 1-2 hours, no stopping.  He looked at me thoughtfully and said “When you get to Huonville you will want to stop for coffee.  Don’t!”  So…I didn’t.  Instead of hankering after coffee I had a lovely drive down the Channel, following the roads around the back blocks of Margate…

Hidden but I could see they are still hanging the washing across the front windows...WHY no Hills Hoist?
I took a photo of our old house, now almost completely obscured by trees.


And one of the bus stop, where my children caught the faithful bus for so many years.  It now sits in a pristine cleared space, but in our day it was smack bang in the middle of thick scrub.  The local children spent many hours burrowing through the undergrowth, getting scratched and bitten and finding the whole experience strangely satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment